Advice Request The TOR browser and government pages?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

eonline

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Hello, some time ago I accessed with the TOR browser a government page in my country Argentina and I got a notice from the page saying that it was going to be investigated by the administrator. Then I tried to enter the same page with a browser without proxy or vpn, that is to say with my IP from Argentina, and it prevented me from accessing it. Is it really safe TOR as they say? In my experience it is not. Well, I just wanted to share this experience. Best regards.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hello, some time ago I accessed with the TOR browser a government page in my country Argentina and I got a notice from the page saying that it was going to be investigated by the administrator. Then I tried to enter the same page with a browser without proxy or vpn, that is to say with my IP from Argentina, and it prevented me from accessing it. Is it really safe TOR as they say? In my experience it is not. Well, I just wanted to share this experience. Best regards.
Tor is just a tool. It doesn't provide 100% anonimity, plus there are hundred more ways you can be identified, rather than your IP (like MAC address, screen width, installed software, DNS), everything can be used to reduce the ammount of people to just a few, and identify you pretty easily.
The fact that using Tor to access a government site (which are regularly targeted) is blocked is a common measure. If you personally were still blocked after closing Tor, my guess is your MAC address was blacklisted. There's no law against visiting the argentinian website with a VPN or Tor, as far as I know, so you can't be investigated (publicly) for that.

PS: cuantas copas tenés papa, quien te conoce?

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I think it was that the IP that assigned you TOR had already been used by someone who wanted to do some nonsense and it was already forbidden.
And then I take the Cabecrera from where it came out and so you know the original IP in that case yours:giggle:

L

Local Host

Is safe, just because someone knows you using TOR doesn't mean they can identify you.

People tend to spreads lots of misinformation regarding TOR, just because websites can easily detect you using it, however that doesn't really matter when it comes to the privacy you seek (they only know you using TOR, they can't identify you nor tag you with cookies).

There's also lots of false information spread by website owners claiming TOR won't protect whasoever, on purpose to get you to use normal browsers so they can tag you.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.