• Yes

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
First of all, I have to disappoint you. Unfortunately, machine learning will never be a silver bullet for cybersecurity compared to image recognition or natural language processing, two areas where machine learning is thriving. There will always be a person who tries to find issues in our systems and bypass them. Therefore, if we detect 90% attacks today, new methods will be invented tomorrow. To make things worse, hackers could also use machine learning to carry out their nefarious endeavors.

Read more here

Then

How Cybercriminals can use Machine Learning (2nd part of the series)

Machine learning (ML) is taking cybersecurity by storm nowadays as well as other tech fields. In the past year, there has been ample information on the use of machine learning in both defense and attacks. While the defense was covered in most articles (I recommend reading my first part “The Truth about Machine Learning in Cybersecurity”), Machine Learning for Cybercriminals seems to be overshadowed and not unanimous.

Read more here

D

Deleted member 65228

Thread author
Machine Learning is good but it is flawed just like Ai/even checksum hash detection. I mean look at finger-print passwords, it is flawed with theft of someones prints extracted from a coffee table or glass/bowl. There is no silver bullet, never has been and never will be. We are the best line of defence, but we are neither a silver bullet as we aren't perfect. Humans have never been perfect and never will. And anything we create will follow this. Meaning any Ai systems we develop, they won't be perfect... Any Ai systems made by an Ai system won't be perfect, because the Ai system which made the AI systems Ai system (etc etc) will have originated from a human, which isn't perfect

Only way a silver bullet could ever theoretically exist is technology from aliens, if they exist. But still I doubt aliens are perfect either.

No matter what you got, someone out there has something better. Whatever you know, someone out there knows twice as much. And it goes on forever.

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
Machine Learning is good but it is flawed just like Ai/even checksum hash detection. I mean look at finger-print passwords, it is flawed with theft of someones prints extracted from a coffee table or glass/bowl. There is no silver bullet, never has been and never will be. We are the best line of defence, but we are neither a silver bullet as we aren't perfect. Humans have never been perfect and never will. And anything we create will follow this. Meaning any Ai systems we develop, they won't be perfect... Any Ai systems made by an Ai system won't be perfect, because the Ai system which made the AI systems Ai system (etc etc) will have originated from a human, which isn't perfect

Only way a silver bullet could ever theoretically exist is technology from aliens, if they exist. But still I doubt aliens are perfect either.

No matter what you got, someone out there has something better. Whatever you know, someone out there knows twice as much. And it goes on forever.
I completely agree with this statement, nothing more to add.
this is true.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Any good thing may be used for a malicious purpose, and vice versa. You can use viruses to heal people and exploit love to hurt somebody. AI is simply another feature that people can/will use both for the good and the bad.:coffee:

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Any good thing may be used for a malicious purpose, and vice versa. You can use viruses to heal people and exploit love to hurt somebody. AI is simply another feature that people can/will use both for the good and the bad.:coffee:

It will be a clash anti-malware AI vs AI malware we just have to hope the anti side can stay one step ahead of the AI malware.

The biggest problem I see is that those developing AI malware will be government backed (taxpayer financed) tools to be used for spying and just like other spy tools these AI malware's will no doubt be proliferated and used for even more nefarious endeavors. In a nutshell the worlds tax paying citizenry are paying to develop AI to spy on them that will be used to exploit them, rob them or worse and then forcing them to pay for anti-malware security to protect them against what they reluctantly paid for in the first place.

Pitting current anti-malware companies against multi-billion dollar backed AI malware tools is going to be asking a lot.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
Only way a silver bullet could ever theoretically exist is technology from aliens, if they exist. But still I doubt aliens are perfect either

I have a theory on that.. Aliens would likely be so advanced that security, locks and passwords would probably not even be a concept they understood or could be made to understand. Probably thousands of years in their past, a sort of ancient way of doing things.. I'm guessing they'd probably have ventured into areas of telepathy and other things (machine actualized or otherwise) that would likely render such things nonsense in a very modern existence.

Barring that.. Machine learning is probably going to end up as just part of other layers. Fortinet uses it in their pre-scanning of incoming files for the FortiSandbox. That's about it in their offerings and it is done to 'speed' quantification of incoming data at a rate so fast most people can't discern it is even scanning it. I don't believe it's a panacea like some people (and companies) claim, but just another tool.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.