Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
HE-1.jpg

One of the most-viewed stories on this site is a blog post+graphic that I put together last year to illustrate the ways that bad guys can monetize hacked computers. But just as folks who don’t bank online or store sensitive data on their PCs often have trouble understanding why someone would want to hack into their systems, many people do not fully realize how much they have invested in their email accounts until those accounts are in the hands of cyber thieves.

This post aims to raise awareness about the street value of a hacked email account, as well as all of the people, personal data, and resources that are put at risk when users neglect to properly safeguard their inboxes.

Sign up with any service online, and it will almost certainly require you to supply an email address. In nearly all cases, the person who is in control of that address can reset the password of any associated services or accounts –merely by requesting a password reset email.

Further reading

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I spoke to a guy once, who used different levels of security for his passwords. His email used the lowest level of security whereas his online accounts used the highest level.

I hacked into his email account using publically accessible information from his Facebook and other accounts linked to it and reset his passwords to various websites, enabling me to get access to information about his personal life. I used this information to piece together his financial details (card number, sort code, bank account number) and social engineered his bank into changing his address (to mine).

He was amazed when I told him and from that day forward guarded his email with his life ;) (everything was reset to normal afterwards and all expenses refunded by me)

D

Deleted member 21043

Honestly I never thought about that but I create a new email account for every single website I sign up too so if one gets hacked they only get one account ;)

That's not true. You do not create a new email account for every website you sign up too. I know you don't because I'm looking at your email now and your log goes back to 2000 when you purchased a dummy from Amazon!! :) :p

@Cowpipe why yes you are correct, I do not really create new email accounts. That would be bizarre :D :p

I always change my passwords and make different for most accounts. Am I the only one who does that?

Some guy on MalwareTips you haven't met yet and probably never will because secretly I'm a ghost who's gunna hunt you down before you ever see me said:
That's a lie man. You use the same password for everything. How else do I read your Skype messages on a daily basis? Check the chat logs, I replied to some too ;)

So that's why that guy swore at me :mad::eek::oops::p
Yes your right however I should really change my passwords. It would prevent being hacked on other accounts and make things better for me. o_O

Last edited by a moderator:

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Just by reading this, make me a bit paranoid, it is true e-mail is need to be well protected, and probably guarded by our very own life, I saw many folks just blindly and underestimate his/her email account and just put or throw it away on many sites, or worse on scam sites, also when I saw an illustration on the picture above, make my eyes more open..we should not underestimate the power of e-mail indeed :eek:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Ooh, this was (is) a very thought provoking thread, venustus, which additionally led me to "Tools for a Safer PC". "Krebs on Security" rocks!:):) The tree illustration made it all feel so very :eek:cloak and dagger..!! I loved the banter back and forth between kram & cowpipe, and the spoilers tickled my funny bone, kram!:D

As my friend, Rahadian, expressed, "..opening our eyes more...and not underestimating the power of email indeed" !;)

@Cowpipe , I'd considered one tip from (..was it Huracan, or perhaps BoraMurdar?):oops: ..well, one of these gentlemen had mentioned consolidating many email account addresses by having them forwarded to gmail. I'd considered doing this mainly for convenience, but now, since you'd mentioned gmail as being 'pretty safe', would this be also be a good move to further security, O sacred giver of dairy and bearer of tobacco's medium whom wears the white hat upon thine head?o_O
:cool:;)

Last edited:

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
Oh I could ;) Depending on which email provider are you with. Gmail is pretty safe, might have trouble with that

How about sharing your views with us about different e-mail services? Thanks.
I know my gmail and hotmail accounts never have any spam, but if I want to play with some malware, all I have to do is look in the spam folder of my Yahoo account.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
@Cats-4_Owners-2 & @FreddyFreeloader ~

My comment about Gmail being safe was actually only semi-serious, it was in part also a social engineering ploy to have kram reveal which email provider he was with (just a bit of fun and banter of course :p). Although I will admit that the security features of Gmail are more advanced than other providers such as Yahoo and indeed Hotmail.

The main vulnerabilities with a Gmail accounts lie not just in having a weak password, but in the choices for security question presented and in the password recovery options which offer recovery by mobile phone. These weaknesses are common across email providers such as Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail etc.

Firstly, security questions can be guessed quite easily, either with social engineering, for example somebody posing as an old school friend shows up on Facebook and starts chatting to you about memories and "Just got my first ever car! About time as well. It's a lovely deep blue color because I think your first car should always be in your favourite color"... to which you innocently reply "Maybe, my first car was 'scarlet red' but my favourite color is green lol", forgetting in that moment, that the security question you created some five years ago and never saw since was actually "What color was my first car?"...

The safest way to combat this is to give a false answer that isn't easily guessable. If it's asking for a colour, give an answer such as "How the heck should I know, it was thirty years ago!" :p And on a side note, in case you're wondering how this guy got your Facebook account, don't forget that Facebook, in it's money driven ways, tries to connect you up as much as possible, and by default, links your personal email address to your Facebook account. So a search for "hellokitty_lol019@gmail.com" will bring up your Facebook account unless you've disabled this in your Privacy Settings ;)

Then there is two factor authentication, and the belief that your email account is safe because nobody can log into it without entering a unique code which is sent to your phone first by SMS. Believe it or not, with a trickery it's possible for an attacker to have your calls redirected to a different phone number. These unique codes, for accessibility reasons can also be sent in the form of a phone call and so it therefore becomes possible for an attacker to obtain the code and defeat the two factor authentication or password recovery process to gain access to your account.

There are other more novel attacks which rely mostly on social engineering, one attack I used personally on a hotmail account involved customer support, and the ability for customer support agents to do a complete account reset (reset password, security questions etc) based almost entirely on matching personal information and naming IP addresses of previous logins. So if I know your IP address, which I can easily obtain, I can gain access to your email address with some social engineering.

If you are using Hotmail, then I would recommend adding a recovery email asap. This is a separate email address, ideally with a different email provider, using different information (preferably false) and a different password (this is very important). In the event that you cannot access your account, or it's been hacked, you have around 30 days from the date of the hack to recover your account, as this is the amount of time required before an attacker can delete or change your recovery email address ;)

The account recovery process for Gmail is more sophisticated than the other common providers, I won't go into specific details but needless to say whilst it can be tricked, it requires an attacker to possess much more information and this additional work isn't usually worth the effort unless somebody is really determined to get access.

Some general email safe tips:

Never check "Always keep me signed in" or "Remember me" on your email account.

Never enter your email password into any applications, or on any websites which claim to link to your email account. If you absolutely must use your email address to sign in to a website, create a new email with fake details and a unique, random password for this purpose.

Always ensure that your email account has a unique and different password to all of your other accounts. Don't use your email password for anything else.

I hope that provides a brief overview for you both on at least some aspects of email security :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@Cats-4_Owners-2 & @FreddyFreeloader ~

My comment about Gmail being safe was actually only semi-serious, it was in part also a social engineering ploy to have kram reveal which email provider he was with (just a bit of fun and banter of course :p). Although I will admit that the security features of Gmail are more advanced than other providers such as Yahoo and indeed Hotmail.

The main vulnerabilities with a Gmail accounts lie not just in having a weak password, but in the choices for security question presented and in the password recovery options which offer recovery by mobile phone. These weaknesses are common across email providers such as Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail etc.

Firstly, security questions can be guessed quite easily, either with social engineering, for example somebody posing as an old school friend shows up on Facebook and starts chatting to you about memories and "Just got my first ever car! About time as well. It's a lovely deep blue color because I think your first car should always be in your favourite color"... to which you innocently reply "Maybe, my first car was 'scarlet red' but my favourite color is green lol", forgetting in that moment, that the security question you created some five years ago and never saw since was actually "What color was my first car?"...

The safest way to combat this is to give a false answer that isn't easily guessable. If it's asking for a colour, give an answer such as "How the heck should I know, it was thirty years ago!" :p And on a side note, in case you're wondering how this guy got your Facebook account, don't forget that Facebook, in it's money driven ways, tries to connect you up as much as possible, and by default, links your personal email address to your Facebook account. So a search for "hellokitty_lol019@gmail.com" will bring up your Facebook account unless you've disabled this in your Privacy Settings ;)

Then there is two factor authentication, and the belief that your email account is safe because nobody can log into it without entering a unique code which is sent to your phone first by SMS. Believe it or not, with a trickery it's possible for an attacker to have your calls redirected to a different phone number. These unique codes, for accessibility reasons can also be sent in the form of a phone call and so it therefore becomes possible for an attacker to obtain the code and defeat the two factor authentication or password recovery process to gain access to your account.

There are other more novel attacks which rely mostly on social engineering, one attack I used personally on a hotmail account involved customer support, and the ability for customer support agents to do a complete account reset (reset password, security questions etc) based almost entirely on matching personal information and naming IP addresses of previous logins. So if I know your IP address, which I can easily obtain, I can gain access to your email address with some social engineering.

If you are using Hotmail, then I would recommend adding a recovery email asap. This is a separate email address, ideally with a different email provider, using different information (preferably false) and a different password (this is very important). In the event that you cannot access your account, or it's been hacked, you have around 30 days from the date of the hack to recover your account, as this is the amount of time required before an attacker can delete or change your recovery email address ;)

The account recovery process for Gmail is more sophisticated than the other common providers, I won't go into specific details but needless to say whilst it can be tricked, it requires an attacker to possess much more information and this additional work isn't usually worth the effort unless somebody is really determined to get access.

Some general email safe tips:

Never check "Always keep me signed in" or "Remember me" on your email account.

Never enter your email password into any applications, or on any websites which claim to link to your email account. If you absolutely must use your email address to sign in to a website, create a new email with fake details and a unique, random password for this purpose.

Always ensure that your email account has a unique and different password to all of your other accounts. Don't use your email password for anything else.

I hope that provides a brief overview for you both on at least some aspects of email security :)
Thank you, Doctor Cowpipe!:):) It (your instruction) does provide a great deal for the heart and soul of security!;)
Following each thrillingly enjoyable ride your words provide us,:cool: Cowpipe, I find myself consistently impressed as the essence and your Cowpipe-i-ness is 1 part entertaining to 2 parts informative with an added spice of suspenseful fascination ever present in the mix!:D

Back on topic, when logging in say, ..onto Malware Tips as I am using a public :eek:(Aaackk!!!) terminal, do user names remembered (in the field) have an actual valid reason to cause my concern as these little red 'invisible' flags do lift from out of my vertebra at times like this! Now, taking your instruction of 'not' checking "keep me logged in" I shall <copy> this text in the event I'm logged off ..again!:mad: :rolleyes::p

Last edited:

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Thank you, Doctor Cowpipe!:):) It (your instruction) does provide a great deal for the heart and soul of security!;)
Following each thrillingly enjoyable ride your words provide us,:cool: Cowpipe, I find myself consistently impressed as the essence and your Cowpipe-i-ness is 1 part entertaining to 2 parts informative with an added spice of suspenseful fascination ever present in the mix!:D

Back on topic, when logging in say, ..onto Malware Tips as I am using a public :eek:(Aaackk!!!) terminal, do user names remembered (in the field) have an actual valid reason to cause my concern as these little red 'invisible' flags do lift from out of my vertebra at times like this! Now, taking your instruction of 'not' checking "keep me logged in" I shall <copy> this text in the event I'm logged off ..again!:mad: :rolleyes::p

Personally Cats-, so long as you connect to the site with HTTPS, or using a VPN for places that don't support HTTPS where possible and remember to log out you should be fine :) Personally, for extra safety I always reset the browser after use on a public computer, so clear all cookies, history, cache (temporary internet files) etc.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Personally Cats-, so long as you connect to the site with HTTPS, or using a VPN for places that don't support HTTPS where possible and remember to log out you should be fine :) Personally, for extra safety I always reset the browser after use on a public computer, so clear all cookies, history, cache (temporary internet files) etc.

Well, I'm home now, but first took your advice for insuring extra security on public computers, Doctor Cowpipe, and used it too!!:):) I've often made it a point to clear the history, and always always remove my Google account w/picture after logging off gmail. Today, I even went so far as to update their Firefox Browser from version 19!:confused::p Adding on AdBlock Edge extension for them (like chicken soup) certainly did not hurt,:rolleyes: but resetting the browser... now, this was an honest to goodness security wonder, and so easy to do!!;)
Thank you!:)
Sometimes, little things can count in a big way, and this would be a good entry for chapter one (Elementary though it may be, My Dear Cowpipe) of the proverbial Malware Tips member's handbook!:D

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.