LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
NOTE: date of the article: Feb 2, 2018

Almost a month after the Meltdown and Spectre attacks against various CPUs were discovered and revealed to the public, there have been reports of the existence of malware that appears to be using the published proof-of-concept code. The source of these reports is a Google Plus post from testing organization AV-Test, which lists the SHA-256 hashes of almost 140 samples found to be 'related to the CPU vulnerabilities'.

The use of the word 'samples' here, rather than 'malware', is deliberate: AV-Test confirms that it believes that at least the majority of these samples are proof-of-concepts rather than actual malware. Indeed, on looking up some of these samples on VirusTotal (which is likely to have been the original source of most of them), I found that the submitted files had names such as 'MeltdownTest.exe', 'Spectre.exe' and 'intelcve.exe' – suggesting that the authors of these files didn't feel the need to hide their intentions.

Of course, 'black hat' malware authors do sometimes upload their samples to VirusTotal to check their detection rates, though they are more likely to use similar services tailored to cybercriminals that promise not to share the samples with anti-virus vendors.

In fact, I doubt we will ever see a lot of in-the-wild malware using the Meltdown or Spectre exploits. Memory-read attacks simply aren't that attractive to most attackers: they don't allow an attacker to run arbitrary code on a targeted system, nor do they give the attacker access to stored data they are interested in. It is telling that Heartbleed, an unrelated attack that also allowed access to large chunks of memory, was not exploited widely in the wild, if it even was at all.

Of course, I could be wrong. It is possible that someone will find a way to chain Meltdown or Spectre with another vulnerability to actually achieve remote code execution at scale. And it may well be that in some targeted attack, repeatedly reading chunks of memory provides an attacker with data they can make use of. And of course this is why I recommend applying the various patches and mitigations that have been released.

Nobody is claiming that article is bogus. All the OP posted was an article that states there is no evidence of active malware exploiting Meltdown\Spectre.

Read the article in the thread you posted. It doesn't claim any active malware exploiting Meltdown\Spectre either.

You have patched system ? Don't worry about it then. If not, then patch your system. And don't worry about it.

Most Average Joes would read the article you posted and instead of being informed would just end up with FUD = fear, uncertainty, doubt. It's no one's fault. It's just the way things are.

Then again nobody knows what to do with Intel, the OEMs, and other parties switching their stories and reversing themselves. Right ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
For sure nation states have exploited these flaws. Intel ME, AMT and similar technologies among "allied" country chip makers have been exploited.

All the spying the US rightly accuses China of, obviously it does the same and more. How the game is played, cast suspicions like that and corporate media goes wild and the sheep believe. This is why some agencies top secret crap is now impossible to hack...gone old school/typewriters.

Reactions: Vasudev
D

Deleted member 65228

There's no evidence of it being exploited in the wild and there's no evidence of it not being exploited in the wild. :ROFLMAO:

My personal opinion is that it has been exploited in the wild but only for advanced, professional attacks, probably carried out by government agencies - but this isn't factual just my thought. The vulnerabilities have existed for too long, and several researchers I know of have dipped their heads into the topics regarding these vulnerabilities as far back as even 2010-2013 IIRC. While they did not manage to do anything at the time, they were on a good track, and if they were investigating all that time ago... Who says other people weren't?

One of the Spectre vulnerabilities can be mitigated by using the LFENCE instruction. This type of variant works because the CPU executes calculations ahead-of-time even if in the end such instructions aren't needed to be executed, but the LFENCE instruction enforces the checks so the operation isn't executed unless it really must, instead of it being done ahead of time and maybe having been for nothing.

For example:
Code:
BOOLEAN Flag = FALSE;

... do stuff with Flag

if(Flag)
{
     .... do some calculations here using a pointer array or something
}

Now in terms of speculative execution, the calculations which should be done within the conditional statement (only if Flag == TRUE) may be performed in advance, even if Flag turns out not to be equal to TRUE. Which is why one of the Spectre vulnerabilities exists.

However the LFENCE instruction being used prevents this for that block by enforcing Flag to be TRUE and thus the calculation isn't performed unless it needs to be.

New Visual Studio update actually enforces auto-checks and inserts the instruction where vulnerable code is detected, allowing recompilation with the new configuration setting enabled, to improve protection of the developers software against Spectre (automatically).

LFENCE instruction basically causes a hold for memory loading operations until all checks which need to be performed before the LFENCE instruction should have been called are performed, stopping the operations in the conditional statement being executed until it's definite that Flag is TRUE.

There are Proof-Of-Concept's in the wild for these vulnerabilities now however they won't be speedy operations and an attacker will need to be really patient to make use of any of it themselves in a real attack and make a benefit of their time with it.

I recon that the malware industry will keep focusing on ransomware and crypto-currency miners as they currently are over trying to leverage these vulnerabilities due to how these vulnerabilities actually work/performance for results and other factors, but that's just my opinion.

If there's no evidence to prove that the vulnerabilities have been proven in the wild then it's evident based on that research that they haven't been exploited in the wild however it's limited to the scope of the research. It's like me claiming that no cow has ever flown to Mars and back and came back with Mars milk. Well, no one is likely going to believe personally that it has happened and research may not provide evidence, but you still do not actually know if it has happened or not. Maybe one day a cow escaped from a farm, grew wings, flew to Mars and back and no one noticed....

...In the same sense that if these vulnerabilities were exploited in secret, don't you think the people responsible would be trying to keep it quiet? They aren't going to go make a post on their Free Weebly blog announcing to the whole world that they exploited Spectre back in 2014.

Anyway it also depends on the context used for the term "wild". If they are referring to home user market for malware then that's a huge difference in comparison to professional attacks aimed at large companies.

There's no evidence of it being exploited in the wild and there's no evidence of it not being exploited in the wild. :ROFLMAO:

My personal opinion is that it has been exploited in the wild but only for advanced, professional attacks, probably carried out by government agencies - but this isn't factual just my thought. The vulnerabilities have existed for too long, and several researchers I know of have dipped their heads into the topics regarding these vulnerabilities as far back as even 2010-2013 IIRC. While they did not manage to do anything at the time, they were on a good track, and if they were investigating all that time ago... Who says other people weren't?

One of the Spectre vulnerabilities can be mitigated by using the LFENCE instruction. This type of variant works because the CPU executes calculations ahead-of-time even if in the end such instructions aren't needed to be executed, but the LFENCE instruction enforces the checks so the operation isn't executed unless it really must, instead of it being done ahead of time and maybe having been for nothing.

For example:
Code:
BOOLEAN Flag = FALSE;

... do stuff with Flag

if(Flag)
{
     .... do some calculations here using a pointer array or something
}

Now in terms of speculative execution, the calculations which should be done within the conditional statement (only if Flag == TRUE) may be performed in advance, even if Flag turns out not to be equal to TRUE. Which is why one of the Spectre vulnerabilities exists.

However the LFENCE instruction being used prevents this for that block by enforcing Flag to be TRUE and thus the calculation isn't performed unless it needs to be.

New Visual Studio update actually enforces auto-checks and inserts the instruction where vulnerable code is detected, allowing recompilation with the new configuration setting enabled, to improve protection of the developers software against Spectre (automatically).

LFENCE instruction basically causes a hold for memory loading operations until all checks which need to be performed before the LFENCE instruction should have been called are performed, stopping the operations in the conditional statement being executed until it's definite that Flag is TRUE.

There are Proof-Of-Concept's in the wild for these vulnerabilities now however they won't be speedy operations and an attacker will need to be really patient to make use of any of it themselves in a real attack and make a benefit of their time with it.

I recon that the malware industry will keep focusing on ransomware and crypto-currency miners as they currently are over trying to leverage these vulnerabilities due to how these vulnerabilities actually work/performance for results and other factors, but that's just my opinion.

If there's no evidence to prove that the vulnerabilities have been proven in the wild then it's evident based on that research that they haven't been exploited in the wild however it's limited to the scope of the research. It's like me claiming that no cow has ever flown to Mars and back and came back with Mars milk. Well, no one is likely going to believe personally that it has happened and research may not provide evidence, but you still do not actually know if it has happened or not. Maybe one day a cow escaped from a farm, grew wings, flew to Mars and back and no one noticed....

...In the same sense that if these vulnerabilities were exploited in secret, don't you think the people responsible would be trying to keep it quiet? They aren't going to go make a post on their Free Weebly blog announcing to the whole world that they exploited Spectre back in 2014.

Anyway it also depends on the context used for the term "wild". If they are referring to home user market for malware then that's a huge difference in comparison to professional attacks aimed at large companies.

All the nation-state hacking agencies are continuously screwing each other over - friend or foe (for lack of a better terminology; what else does one call it ?). There's no evidence of anything. Until a WikiLeak happens...

And they ain't doing it to steal some Bitcoin whale's Bitcoins.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.