Advice Request These Figures Show Windows 7 Is Not Dead Just Yet

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
These Figures Show Windows 7 Is Not Dead Just Yet

Moving users from Windows 7 is Microsoft’s top priority right now, especially because this operating system is reaching end of support in January 2020, but this month’s market share stats show that things aren’t going very well for the software giant in this regard.

these-figures-show-windows-7-is-not-dead-just-yet-517886-2.jpg

Windows 7 has regained valuable market share points and what’s worse for Microsoft is that Windows 10 also dropped substantially, especially at a time when more users were actually expected to upgrade.

Valve’s latest figures for the month of September indicate that while Windows 10 is still the top choice for Steam gamers with 45.37 percent, it recorded a drop of no less than 4.66 percent, which is a dramatic number given Microsoft’s push for increased adoption of the OS.

Non-Windows platforms for gaming
At the same time, Windows 7 managed to recover in a pretty surprising way, reaching 41.01 percent, up no less than 6 percent over the previous month’s figures. If the same trend is maintained for both Windows 7 and Windows 10, the latter is very likely to be dethroned the next month, making Windows 7 the leader once again.

The third choice right now is Windows 8.1 61-bit, which runs on 5.23 percent of Steam systems (down 0.78 percent), followed by the 32-bit version of Windows 7, which remains a popular version of 2.98 percent of the users.

When it comes to non-Windows operating systems being used to play games on Steam, Apple’s macOS is the second option after Windows with 2.74 percent share, down 0.29 percent from the previous month. Again, macOS 10.12.6 is the leading choice with 1.40 percent, an increase of 0.36 percent versus August.

Linux, on the other hand, remains just the third option with only 0.60 percent of the systems currently running it, down 0.03 percent. Ubuntu 16.04.3 is now number one in the Linux world for gaming with 0.14 percent.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
In my opinion Windows 7 is relevant until January of 2020.

Microsoft pushes the threats of older OS and security update needs far too much. An updated Windows 10 could get a major infection, and an unprotected Windows 7 or even XP might not even see a single threat, it mostly depends on what sites you visit and what you download, regardless of what version of Windows you have.

The best advice is not the OS you use, but HOW you use it online.

I used an XP laptop I was working on online for a few months or more in 2015. I had no AV, and old programs... did not get a single infection. No ransomewares or anything. I installed AV to check and results came out fine. I was surprised because of all the warnings after April 2014.

Now I do recommend security updates and that, but a good firewall/security and smart surfing online is mostly the battle.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
"Never change a running system"
#sevenftw

But we shouldn't believe each statistic too. I can deactivate in Steam the sending of PC information. And pretty the statistic doesn't make sense ;)
btw.: Privacy oriented browsers (Tor Browser) can tranfer to a tracking site that you're using Windows 7 while you're using Linux (I'm using it already). Many statistics are using this type of tracking.

Last edited:

Yoda

Level 3
Verified
Jul 26, 2017
After the 2nd time they asked me to update, I completely removed update KB3035583.

Reactions: bribon77

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
Yeah, i wouldn't call it dead either...

Operating system market share

P.S.: This summer, i updated the PC of a relative of mine with old computer parts of me from XP to...Windows 7.

As for MS forcing the "upgrade" on me, i don't think it will be very easy:

1.png

Reactions: Captain Awesome
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.