These things may be cool, but are they safe?

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
In the rush to embrace IoT devices, we shouldn’t trade in our privacy and security for the added convenience

Ours is an interconnected world. We have smart doorbells, so we can check on our smartphones who rang, smartwatches to track our children’s’ locations, and fitness trackers to see how we are doing with our physical health. The Internet of Things revolution has even swept our households with a whole range of smart home appliances ranging from smart tea kettles to smart washing machines to smart fridges.

All of this makes life easier, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that it makes our life more secure. Being able to manage most of your household from your smartphone may be convenient, but are the gadgets you choose safe? Here are some of the Internet of Things (IoT) gizmos that may, for convenience’s sake, infringe on your privacy.
... ...

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
On a personal basis I'm quite careful of what IOT devices are on my network as the makers of many of these items have no interest in security & the risk of potential backdoors to your systems.

MonSpyder9

Level 2
May 4, 2020
I would want to keep my house as simple as possible (when I can afford one 😅) because these smart devices are a security and privacy threat, but could also make the house more difficult to maintain. I know a bit about software - and usually it doesn't "just work" - it needs updates, patches, sometimes it gets errors. And I wouldn't want my home to stop working when the internet gets cut off.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
And I wouldn't want my home to stop working when the internet gets cut off.
In the past, when there was a massive blackout due to a natural disaster, people who relied on credit cards and did not have cash were unable to shop, which was very inconvenient.
It's very important that the Internet of Things depends on the conditions of electricity and communications.

MonSpyder9

Level 2
May 4, 2020
In the past, when there was a massive blackout due to a natural disaster, people who relied on credit cards and did not have cash were unable to shop, which was very inconvenient.
It's very important that the Internet of Things depends on the conditions of electricity and communications.
Oh damn, I never thought of it like that, I quite like cashless payment :oops:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.