TheSingular's anti-exe config.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSingular

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 29, 2017
Notes:
-Might buy an antivirus for real-time protection, if suggested. Lightweight yet good ones are preferred.
-Used to use Seventh Knight PC Security as the anti-exe, but it also blocks some windows settings and stuff for some reason and causes 2 weird extra tabs with opera.(it has something to do with launch options-due to some incompatibility, it tries to go to the website of it's own executable's path, divided into two. Hard to explain. Also causes issues with process explorer replacing task manager.) Switched to VoodooShield just recently.
-Malware attack section doesn't include the files I judged as false positives detected by MalwareBytes Anti Malware, including but not limited to: Game cheats/trainers from cheathappens.com, Seventh Knight PC Security registry entries(that make executables go through itself - should be gone now that I've uninstalled it), CheatEngine and a trainer for a small game that I made myself via CheatEngine.
-I also use VPN and a custom made VPN kill switch batch files based on a guide on the internet. It configures the rules of Windows Firewall and unless I can change multiple rules on a click, with a similar script to the one I wrote, I'd prefer NOT switching firewalls, as my script will be rendered useless if I change firewalls.
Edit: -VoodooShield is at Always ON mode, as I'd like it to first block, then ask and learn not to block, all the time.
Edit2: Voodooshield had some problems with some stuff I had, switched to NVT ERP's latest beta.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
For a lightweight but decent antivirus you could try Bitdefender Free. Coupled with VoodooShield you should have excellent protection.
Before trying this it would be wise to make a system image backup, so that when you don't like it you just restore an image.
System Utilities are 3rd party programs you use to perform maintenance or tweaking like the now famous CCleaner for example.

TheSingular

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 29, 2017
For a lightweight but decent antivirus you could try Bitdefender Free. Coupled with VoodooShield you should have excellent protection.
Before trying this it would be wise to make a system image backup, so that when you don't like it you just restore an image.
System Utilities are 3rd party programs you use to perform maintenance or tweaking like the now famous CCleaner for example.
I hope it's lighter than its Total Security version. One of the reasons I went for an anti-exe in the first place(it's license was also about to expire, and unlike VoodooShield, Seventh Knight PC Security is completely incompatible with any real time protection antivirus, with the only exception being Windows Defender).
On the other hand, I've updated the System Utilities part to None, thanks for explaining it to me. :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Implement some type of system backup solution!Both AOMEI & Macrium offer good free options.
Do you back up important data to an external drive? If not consider doing so.
AVAST Free,Windows Firewall & VS is a good combo.
Consider adding an additional on demand scanner(s).
Thanks for sharing your config :)

TheSingular

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 29, 2017
Implement some type of system backup solution!Both AOMEI & Macrium offer good free options.
Do you back up important data to an external drive? If not consider doing so.
AVAST Free,Windows Firewall & VS is a good combo.
Consider adding an additional on demand scanner(s).
Thanks for sharing your config :)
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have an external drive, and I use it to store most of my data as it's much bigger than my internal drive. The important stuff though, I place those into both internal drive (into the D:\ partition) and external drive. I use the internal drive mainly for the installed programs and the data I don't care about much.(that data is only on the internal drive)

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
You can use xvirus free version as your antivirus which is light and effective.
Since you are a gamer you can also use wise game booster for increasing the performance and wise disk cleaner for removing the junks from your pc.
Also, you can use bitwarden pass manager an Instead of the last pass.
Pls add hitman pro or Crystal Security as an on-demand scanner and remove Malwarebytes because it's useless.
thanks for sharing.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
You can use xvirus free version as your antivirus which is light and effective.
Since you are a gamer you can also use wise game booster for increasing the performance and wise disk cleaner for removing the junks from your pc.
Also, you can use bitwarden pass manager an Instead of the last pass.
Pls add hitman pro or Crystal Security as an on-demand scanner and remove Malwarebytes because it's useless.
thanks for sharing.
Interesting I never heard of bitwarden pass manager @Sunshine-boy any good is worth looking into. :)

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
You should have a backup, I get the impression you want something light on system resources. Rollback Rx Home is probably best in your case, especially if you don't want to be bogged down with weighty backup and restore times. It's free too which is nice. There's a giveaway for the Pro Edition still running I believe, so you can always try snagging one of those.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
I would add a free AV, there are a lot of good free versions avalaible on the web!

You can add for example Avast Free, Bitdefender Free, Panda Free, etc.

Add ZAM Free.

Add HTTPS Everywhere, Disconnect.

Follow suggestions about backups, it is very important also in case of infection.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: TheSingular
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.