Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
this-facebook-game-is-hoarding-personal-data-on-millions-of-users-496751-2.jpg

The Most Used Words quiz game on Facebook and its creator, a company called Vonvon, are being accused of collecting personal user details, which they plan to sell to online advertisers.

The accusation was made by Comparitech, a technology review website, which, unlike any of us, took the time to read the app's Privacy Policy and discovered many disturbing issues.

Most Used Words quiz collects Facebook profile details
In its default settings, the app asks its users to give it full access to their profile. All permissions besides "access to Facebook posts" can be turned off and allow the app to work normally, but very few people know this, and very few limit the app's reach.

With access to almost all the user's details, the app's policy allows it to make copies of all the data and then store it on remote servers.

Even worse, there are passages in the license that also enable the company to share the data with third-parties (usually online advertisers), and then wash their hands of all what happened.

The shady privacy policy should have been a warning to users, but nobody reads it anyway
"We do not share your Personal Information with third parties unless we have received your permission to do so, or given you notice thereof (such as by telling you about it in this Privacy Policy)," reads the shadiest portion of the Most Used Words policy.

Read more: This Facebook Game Is Hoarding Personal Data on Millions of Users

The app, like many Facebook quiz apps, is a privacy nightmare. Here’s a list of the info quiz players have to disclose to Vonvon.me:

• Name, profile picture, age, sex, birthday, and other public info
  • Entire friend list
  • Everything you’ve ever posted on your timeline
  • All of your photos and photos you’re tagged in
  • Education history
  • Hometown and current city
  • Everything you’ve ever liked
  • IP address
  • Info about the device you’re using including browser and language

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

if people don't read the Privacy Policy , it is their fault. Anyway anything on FB collect everything.

Reactions: kev216

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Glad I stopped playing those Facebook Apps since last year. In fact I realised I've FB-ing lesser this year. Averagely 15 mins per day compared to 3-4hours per day.
I understand that anything you put into facebook basically doesn't belongs to you. Anyone can steal it (trust me, I'm a photography hobbyist, and I'm a victim myself too).
Nowadays, these days I don't bother to go in check. Not even adding my own siblings/ parents accounts (well, if things go wrong, just don't go to my family).

Reactions: kev216

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.