Umbra

Level 11
Verified
Private equity firm Thoma Bravo plans today to buy UK-based cyber-security giant Sophos for $7.40 per share, for a total value of $3.9 billion, both companies announced today.

The sale price represents a 37% premium on the Sophos market trading price, as recorded on Friday, at the end of the trading.

The Sophos board of directors said they plan to "unanimously recommend" the acquisition offer to their shareholders.

blackice

Level 12
Verified
Private equity firm Thoma Bravo plans today to buy UK-based cyber-security giant Sophos for $7.40 per share, for a total value of $3.9 billion, both companies announced today.

I guess the question is whether they plan to build a strong portfolio and user base, or just bleed these companies dry until the next acquisition.

plat1098

Level 10
Verified
My questions were more like: so was Sandboxie moved to open source to clean house for the new buyer? AND, what's Surfright's take on this? I ask about the standalone HitmanPro products or will they eventually be absorbed into this conglomerate? It's interesting, I'm staying tuned to this.

Umbra

Level 11
Verified
I do a bit of trading, so from what I know, private equity groups are all about profit, those are real sharks. They buy, reduce costs to improve rentability, Sandboxie was not profitable, it was a niche software, so it was dumped probably to remove the negative numbers in the book to ease the sale.
If Sophos don't gives enough return cash flow, it will be put on sales or even left to die.
Equity groups aren't users, they aren't emotionally attached to a product, they invest to get back more. They won't have a 2nd thought ditching a bad investment.
But I can tell you, cost cuts will be made.

Raiden

Level 13
Verified
Content Creator
True, and sad as Sophos Home was heading in a good direction.
Agreed.

This is a little disheartening as SHP was heading in the right direction. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens, but rarely do these things turn out well. As much as I like Sophos and SHP, I may have to say goodbye, especially if things go south, which more than likely will happen.:cry:

plat1098

Level 10
Verified
They are only interested in the $$$.
More specifically, they are interested in anything that would affect the $$$. So, I believe there would be mutual efforts to strengthen the portfolio, not weaken it right away with too much change or destroy the existing user base. Maybe some of the cash influx will go toward improving the various products in the line and research.

Can't predict any future performance good or bad, but I learned something from the Sandboxie fiasco:
Can you buy a 3 year license right now? You can? Oh, that's good! :censored: :rolleyes: