Phone unlock
Biometric security
    • Apple FaceID / TouchID
SIM card lock
Not protected by a PIN code
Find my Phone
On
Security & Privacy Apps
Malwarebytes for iOS (call and SMS filtering)
Browser
Safari
File and Photo backup
iCloud and iTunes backups

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
iPhone or Samsung may hopefully remedy the frustrations over Sony's lack of foresight in the screen department. It's a shame Sony (formerly a name associated with quality) has dropped down in both trust & reliability. I feel the manufacturer should be held responsible.

Many junk apps such as Facebook, in fact I'd thought all of them, had been stopped upon my own Chinese manufactured ZTE phone, although this very day I saw an auto-update had been performed to Facebook app installer.:eek:
What? On closer examination, besides the Facebook app (deactivated) there remain 2 additional 'pre-installed' Adroid System apps. Facebook app installer & Facebook app manager, each still in operation, & acting independently from those installed manually from The Google Play store which is set to Off for "Auto-download updates". Apart from the warning "Stopping this app my cause your system to have problems", I have experienced none; and both apps are now stopped.:)

I too use ESET Mobil Security as well as Firefox Focus Browser, so your share is a boost to helping me to feel even a little smarter.:cool:

Thank you for sharing, and I shall hope those screen problems remain this Sony's only shortcomings for as long as you must keep it.;)

Last edited:

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
iPhone or Samsung may hopefully remedy the frustrations over Sony's lack of foresight in the screen department. It's a shame Sony (formerly a name associated with quality) has dropped down in both trust & reliability. I feel the manufacturer should be held responsible.

Many junk apps such as Facebook, in fact, I'd thought all, had been stopped upon my own Chinese manufactured ZTE phone, although this very day I saw an auto-update had been performed to Facebook app installer.:eek: What? On closer examination, besides the Facebook app (deactivated) there remain 2 additional 'pre-installed' Adroid System apps. Facebook app installer & Facebook app manager, each still in operation, & acting independently from those installed manually from The Google Play store which is set to Off for "Auto-download updates".

I too use ESET Mobil Security as well as Firefox Focus Browser, so your share is a boost to helping me to feel even a little smarter.:cool:

Thank you for sharing, and I shall hope those screen problems remain this Sony's only shortcomings for as long as you must keep it.;)
A year or so left of my contract, I might pay a little more a month and get a new contract with a new phone. You're right about Sony being known to be trustworthy & reliable but this just doesn't cut it, won't be getting another Sony phone.

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
@JM Safe I apologize actually I didn't see the "remove ESET" part of your message, I don't want to ditch my paid AV for a free AV.

Reactions: Jack

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
The best thing of ZMA is that it doesn't create problems even if other protection app is installed. I have used it along with Eset, BD and Kaspersky without any problem.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
The best thing of ZMA is that it doesn't create problems even if other protection app is installed. I have used it along with Eset, BD and Kaspersky without any problem.
Thanks for your feedback @jogs, however running 2 real-time apps at the same time could cause also some conflicts; ZMA is better than ESET according to my experience: fast scans, great detection ratio, powerful and secure antikeylogging module and now also web protection module which lets users also to whitelist websites.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Got my XR a few days ago. I'm more than impressed to say the least.
You just missed out on a huge price cut for the iPhone XR.

"On Amazon, the price of the iPhone XR dropped from £799.00 to no less than £798.99, which means you save no more, no less than £0.01. If you’re an American reader, this means $0.013. "

• HaHa
Reactions: upnorth

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
You just missed out on a huge price cut for the iPhone XR.

"On Amazon, the price of the iPhone XR dropped from £799.00 to no less than £798.99, which means you save no more, no less than £0.01. If you’re an American reader, this means $0.013. "
Damn it, I have a 3 year contract anyway.

Reactions: upnorth

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Swapped out DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser to Firefox Focus as it integrates with Safari to block content (also replacing AdGuard).

Changed PIN to complex password needed on reboot and to get the phone out of SOS (pressing the power button 5 times would disable Face ID thus requiring this password).

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Have you thought about using Brave browser for iOS?

Reactions: harlan4096

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Brave is decent, used it on mobile and PC before but Firefox Focus integrates with Safari to block content in that as well which is a plus (can't change default browser either so) and it's very small.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Brave is decent, used it on mobile and PC before but Firefox Focus integrates with Safari to block content in that as well which is a plus (can't change default browser either so) and it's very small.
Thanks. I hadn't seen that setting.:)

For data backup, I also use Google Photos ( photos and videos) on my Iphone and Ipad. Icloud only has 5G free.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I use a simple app to clean social media data and enhance Privacy. It's not a do or die app but it's an app I like. It's still in development but looks promising
Jumbo: Privacy+

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How do you navigate around the issue when trying to read a notification on the lockscreen, but with Face ID, it unlocks instead?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.