Tim Cook asked to justify iPhone prices (GMA Interview)

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I have said it before but I feel like I need to repeat myself. Yes, the iPhone is mainstream but that doesn't mean that the hardware inside of it is mainstream. The hardware is bleeding edge.
The first 7nm CPU + it has 8MB L2 cache
Neural chip is 8x faster than in A11
NVMe SSD storage
120 Hz OLED display
Those weird cameras that scan your face with 30,000 dots

If they cut those things out and went the cheaper route they could easily sell a device for maybe $600 or even less. But at the price that Apple is asking, nobody can compete. Android devices with equivalent hardware cost just as much or more. The bleeding edge hardware comes at a premium and I'm saying this as an Android fan.

D

Deleted member 178

@DeepWeb

bleeding Edge? maybe but with limitations (come on 3gb RAM...)

Compare the Iphone X 256gb (1500+$) with my mid-ranger Sony (350$)

Compare Apple iPhone X vs. Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra - GSMArena.com

Apple sell Iphone with minimal storage space 32/64gb , more you want, more you pay , where all other phones you can just buy a sdcard up to 256Gb in addition of the built-in storage (64 to 128gb).

Sure the Iphone have fancy gadgets but i don't believe it is worth an extra 1000$.

Last edited by a moderator:

security.paranoid

Level 2
Verified
Dec 6, 2014
apple ceo : do we have a problems with sales
management : no
apple ceo: so cut the budget of the r&d
management: but sir we need to add something this year
ceo : ok go for dual sim
management:what about on screen fingerprint you know we are a 1000 bilion company
ceo: i said dual sim ,it is enough

iphone cost >300$ price of full configured iphone xs max 1450$ you can buy a mid range computer with a high end smartphone

i think apple has enough revenue so they don't do more improvements in the hardware

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
@DeepWeb

Apple sell Iphone with minimal storage space 32/64gb , more you want, more you pay , where all other phones you can just buy a sdcard up to 256Gb in addition of the built-in storage (64 to 128gb). Just that is a scam to make idiots pay more.

Sure the Iphone have fancy gadgets but i don't believe it is worth an extra 1000$.
True. But the iPhone is so optimized that there's little need for more RAM when you have a massive 8MB L2 cache, you can move a lot of data in and out of RAM. Check the video encoding benchmarks. I don't know about storage. The next camera that can do 4k 60fps video is a $2000 DSLR. And let's not forget that the price includes the cost of the software,free iMessage, 4 years of updates and OS upgrades. Like I said, it's NVMe. It's probably not cheap to offer PCIe buses, read speeds are around 1000-2000 MB/s. But I agree. 32 or 64 GB options should not even exist without expandable storage. Maybe Apple wants people to spend money on iCloud? Either way as a happy Android user, I see the extra premium as the cost of the bleeding edge hardware and the 4 years of reliable updates. I think paying $100 more than the rest of the market might be well worth it for people who want something stable.

Last edited:
L

Local Host

I have said it before but I feel like I need to repeat myself. Yes, the iPhone is mainstream but that doesn't mean that the hardware inside of it is mainstream. The hardware is bleeding edge.
The first 7nm CPU + it has 8MB L2 cache
Neural chip is 8x faster than in A11
NVMe SSD storage
120 Hz OLED display
Those weird cameras that scan your face with 30,000 dots

If they cut those things out and went the cheaper route they could easily sell a device for maybe $600 or even less. But at the price that Apple is asking, nobody can compete. Android devices with equivalent hardware cost just as much or more. The bleeding edge hardware comes at a premium and I'm saying this as an Android fan.
In terms of Hardware the iPhone is even more far behind... Anyone remember this meme?

iPhone-6-Memes-28.jpg

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Not anymore, i dont need custom Roms.
Rooted = make it more vulnerable, with latest Android v8 (Oreo) on my Sony phones , you can remove or disable some built-in/shipped apps. (which was the main reason to root phones). And honestly i won't risk bricking a 300+$ phone.

total phone_noob question (I guess from perspective of someone who knows a nuance more than I do), I understand that google developed android. Is that a privacy concern, or it isn't because it's open source?? and just read again about hacker financial malware in google store?? a concern? does apple for higher priced device, provide any better protection in its app store?

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@DeepWeb

Apple sell Iphone with minimal storage space 32/64gb , more you want, more you pay , where all other phones you can just buy a sdcard up to 256Gb in addition of the built-in storage (64 to 128gb). Just that is a scam to make idiots pay more.

I agree unfortunate that iphone has no sdcard. But just checked and sony xperia is not fully compatible with my carrier, and after using 2 other carriers over the years, my current carrier provides excellent service, so no urgency for me to switch from iphone8, at least not with what I've been reading so far...

D

Deleted member 178

I understand that google developed android. Is that a privacy concern, or it isn't because it's open source??
You won't have privacy if you use any smartphone. you want privacy , just use those good'ol flap phone.

and just read again about hacker financial malware in google store?? a concern? does apple for higher priced device, provide any better protection in its app store?
like everywhere, don't install unknown stuff, about Iphone i don't know, never bought one, probably never will (unless i find a huge discount on some older models). from what i heard, Apple Store "seems" safer.

But just checked and sony xperia is not fully compatible with my carrier, and after using 2 other carriers over the years, my current carrier provides excellent service, so no urgency for me to switch from iphone8, at least not with what I've been reading so far...
The Iphone8 is an very expensive ex-flagship, it would be unacceptable if you had issues with your carrier with it; the Xperias are mid-range phone, they can be forgiven. Where i reside i have no issues with my carriers and i'm in an average country in term of telecommunication.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
You won't have privacy if you use any smartphone. you want privacy , just use those good'ol flap phone.

like everywhere, don't install unknown stuff, about Iphone i don't know, never bought one, probably never will (unless i find a huge discount on some older models). from what i heard, Apple Store "seems" safer.

The Iphone8 is an very expensive ex-flagship, it would be unacceptable if you had issues with your carrier with it; the Xperias are mid-range phone, they can be forgiven. Where i reside i have no issues with my carriers and i'm in an average country in term of telecommunication.

ok, thanks. don't you get some level of privacy if you use encrypted texting eg Threema and other similar apps, and I more or less understand there are apps for encrypting a phone call, although I saw something on 60 Minutes about hackers being able to listen in on any call if they really want to. But I guess this thread is more about overpricing of iphones. I bought the iphone8 when the X was the flagship so I'm not THAT crazy, it was "convenient" and I'm lazy at times and it seemed easier than learning a different mobile os since my iphone history has been unproblematic.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Guys, what are the prices in your countries?
In Croatia, the most expensive, iPhone XS Max 512 GB will cost around $2308 while the cheapest, iPhone XS 64 GB will cost around $1606.
I wouldn't buy it even if I was rich.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Cook said that most people pay a monthly fee through a carrier, most iPhone owners paying about $30 a month for it – or a dollar a day. That’s good value for what you’re getting, he argued.

My only problem with this is:

Tmobile started this no contract/pay monthly for your phone idea. It worked and people love paying monthly notes...not I.

Other carriers soon jumped bandwagon when they saw that people were willing to pay the full price of a phone, instead of subsidizing it for $100-$200 with 2 year contract.

Many people don't realize that it was actually much cheaper during the subsidize days + your still stuck in a so called contract with monthly notes.

That's why I buy my android phones sub $300, slightly used or NEW, 8 months to 1 year old.

Ex: LG G6 , NEW = $250....Done, now I can go use that money for something else and it eases my impulse buying lol.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@DeepWeb

Apple sell Iphone with minimal storage space 32/64gb , more you want, more you pay , where all other phones you can just buy a sdcard up to 256Gb in addition of the built-in storage (64 to 128gb).

That's where you're wrong, you cannot compare Apples and Oranges.

Apple design their own chips. Everything is highly optimised for iOS and does not need 6GB of RAM to run smooth. As of the 2018 iPhone range, all come with 64GB storage, and remember most Android Flagships only have 64GB with microSD support. It's probably because it's cheaper for the manufacturer to support expandable storage than offer up to 512GB built-in storage. Storage is a premium, which is the biggest price factor for any smartphone.

It's a very different story with Android-powered smartphones. There is just too much variety of hardware to say who is better, so here are some personal pointers I felt like sharing without much detail. No need to examine each pointer.

Apple (iPhone)
  • Premium brand (one defined standard)
  • Software Updates for 5+ years
  • Supreme built quality
  • Quality materials (Glass, Metal, Plastics)
  • Closed-environment within the walls of Apple and iOS.
  • Downsides - Expensive to repair

Android by Google
  1. Low-end cheap crap
    • Unknown Chinese brands
    • Software Updates - probably older Android version
    • Materials - Cheap plastics, previous-gen or non-Corning Glass)
    • Quality - May crack after a drop
    • Downsides - May include backdoors or spyware
  2. Mid-rangers & Flagships
    • Well-known brands - Samsung, Sony, Oppo, OnePlus, Nokia
    • Software Updates - Flagships are more likely to receive updates before Mid-rangers, runs newer Android versions
    • Materials (Corning Glass, Metal, Plastics)
    • Quality - High quality builds and Premium chassis' that won't snap in half
    • Downsides - Updates may be limited to 2 years, feature updates may be restricted by hardware limitations or different versions and speeds for MicroSD cards

I am not trying to justify that Apple's iPhone is better than Google's Android, because there is a huge difference when comparing their hardware, software and ecosystem.

Don't be that guy so say what people should be using. Both are great devices. Competition is healthy, otherwise it'll stagnate like Windows XP and it's aging userbase.

Related:
Huawei thinks its Kirin 980 is better than Apple’s A12 Bionic

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.