Jul 23, 2023
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
On-device encryption
N/A
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
Off
Network firewall
Disabled
Real-time security
F-Secure SAFE 19.1
Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control
Firewall security
About custom security
O&O ShutUp10++: almost all the recommended settings
Simple Windows Hardening: basic recommended settings
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Adwcleaner, HitmanPro, Norton Power Eraser
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
-
Browser(s) and extensions
Librewolf 115.0.2-2
Extensions: Bitwarden, uBlock Origin (filters, medium mode), AnonAddy
Search engine: Startpage
Secure DNS
Comss.one DNS (system-wide)
Desktop VPN
IVPN
Password manager
Bitwarden (desktop application and browser extension) and KeePass 2 (for backups)
Maintenance tools
Reg Organizer 9.11, Revo Uninstaller Pro 5.1.7, SUMo
File and Photo backup
MEGA
System recovery
-
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Making audio/video calls
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Downloading software and files from unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Sharing and receiving files and torrents
    • Gaming
    • Gaming with third-party mods
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
i3 7100, GTX 1050Ti, 8Gb DDR4, 1Tb HDD.
Notable changes
01.01.2022 - the post was created;
02.01.2022 - deleted Privacy Badger, DDG Privacy Essentials, LocalCDN and ClearURLs; enabled medium blocking mode in uBo and strict tracking protection in Firefox;
04.02.2022 - switched from FS Protection and Simplewall to Kaspersky Standard;
18.02.2022 - deleted Avast AntiTrack;
23.02.2022 - switched from Kaspersky Standard to FS Protection and Simplewall.
20.03.2022 - switched from Firefox to librewolf
25.05.2022 - added Simple Windows Hardening
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I'm not either but I found this on Reddit Who knows what to believe on R when there are no references/documentation.

I believe if you select "Custom", Cookies -> "All 3rd party cookies" and Tracking content -> "In all windows" it is at least as strong if not more so. Website breakage could occur but I've never encountered any while blocking 3rd party cookies.

In the end I think it's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. FF strict is very good protection with recent developments.

I personally will stick with strict as it barely gives me any problems and because I think that there is a reason why Mozilla is telling us to use the strict profile in order to make dFPI work.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I personally will stick with strict as it barely gives me any problems and because I think that there is a reason why Mozilla is telling us to use the strict profile in order to make dFPI work.
Indeed, as I mentioned (or intended) in my follow-up post, since Custom defaults to Private Browsing Mode. There's no clear indication by Mozilla about Custom -> Tracking content ->"In all windows" setting.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
FYI, If you've picked up cross-site trackers and you're using the Standard setting, you might see a little icon in Firefox's address bar like in my spoiler here.

What do you think of this comment?

If you think I'm arguing to maintain my point, that's actually not the case (lol). I 'd welcome any clarification about this if it's justified. Actually, I found this topic very intriguing when it first was addressed back in April 2021 on Wilders but nothing's set in stone when it comes to Firefox.

If the Strict setting is the only one to handle this kind of cookie blocking, then good, the discussion can end right there. And frankly, I would not expect someone to deviate from what Moz itself is telling one about this issue (that is: to use the Strict setting). Ultimately, It's not about influencing who does what where in the Settings but seeing an issue from more than one perspective.

I learned the hard way not to block all third party cookies. You just never know and it's a total nuisance to drop whatever you're doing and go rummaging around in the browser to undo this or that setting.

Thanks for bringing up this interesting subject again. Well....at least I find it interesting. :geek::coffee:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.