TinyWall Version 3 released! (Sept 2020)

ultim

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 13, 2011
Hello Everybody!

Just letting you know that I've released Tinywall 3.0! I've made the original announcement on Wilders because that's currently the main thread, but I hope I do not need to point out explicitly (better, let me point it out here and now) that when I say Thank You there, I do not only mean Wilders, but everyone on this forum too since you've all helped and supported me a lot. So, thank You, and I really hope you'll like the new version. And if not... well, development continues on :)

ultim

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 13, 2011
Migrate from beta version to ver.3 and do a little test run from now on.:)(y)

Well, the thread title '2.1.7' is already a legacy of the past. Suggest editing of the title.🙏
Yep, but changing the title would make most sense if the contents of the first post can also be changed with it. I cannot change either of them. IMHO our best option is for me to start a new thread.

Everybody agrees that's a good idea?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yep, but changing the title would make most sense if the contents of the first post can also be changed with it. I cannot change either of them. IMHO our best option is for me to start a new thread.

Everybody agrees that's a good idea?
Moved your posts to a new thread, TinyWall Version 3.

If the older (legacy?) version is still supported it can remain open for users who have not upgraded.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
This from the gHack's comments is incorrect:

"Simplewall its still and only Windows firewall. “Simple tool to configure Windows Filtering Platform (WFP)”

Windows Filtering Platform is not the same as Windows Firewall. Two different things. So the options are:

- WFC - GUI for Windows Firewall - one man developer backed by Malwarebytes

- TinyWall - one-man, private developer, now independent of WF but may be run side-by-side if desired

- Simplewall - open-source app built on Windows Filtering Platform

Read up on each for more info

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
TinyWall Changelog

3.0.2 - Maintenance release (26.03.2020.)
  • Test for UWP support instead of OS-version checking
  • Install hosts and database updates atomically
  • Keep Windows Firewall settings as desired when enabled & changed externally
  • Fix user GUI settings not migrated (effective starting with v3.0.3)
  • Fix possible GUI crash when user selects Elevate

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
The TinyWall homepage could use an update. Most excellent firewall! (y)(y)
Do you have to enable Boot-time filtering or is it present after downloading program?Ed, oops found out...Improved boot-time filtering support which ensures that firewall rules are active right "from the start on the networking stack".

Last edited:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I have installed it side-by-side with TMMP. Currently playing with it.

When I first installed it, it blocked most of the installed programmes from accessing the internet, so I have enabled "Auto-learn Mode". For how long should I keep learning mode on? How can I make TinyWall ask for every connection? Thank you very much.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
How can I make TinyWall ask for every connection? Thank you very much.
Impossible by using TinyWall, developer @ultim said for many times at Wilders forum, he never will be adding such feature...

"Non-intrusive operation: TinyWall lets you work while protecting you. No annoying popups and simple configuration"

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
When I first installed it, it blocked most of the installed programmes from accessing the internet,

This is how TinyWall has always been.

I have enabled "Auto-learn Mode". For how long should I keep learning mode on?

I generally start my initial use (on install) with opening apps, e.g. browsers, music apps, etc. and allow by using one of the alternative whitelisting methods: window, process, etc. Click on the tray icon and you will see the options. I only use autolearn on a case-by-case basis if I'm in a rush.

How can I make TinyWall ask for every connection?

@silversurfer is correct. TW has never used notifications. If an app isn't working, you need to allow it by one of the available methods as above.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.