Status
Not open for further replies.

Giannis

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 27, 2014
Hey!

I recently a bought a VPS using Windows Server 2016. I'm in love with it, hosting servers for games. I don't know much about windows server, basically nothing and would like your help. I need an antivirus/firewall etc to secure it. Which one should I use? The ones I saw for Kaspersky endpoint etc are really expensive for me. The normal ones don't work since they are not compatible. Also, do you have any other tips to secure it? Thank you!

Bryan Lam

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2015
There's not much you can do in terms of securing it because of what you're using it for. A firewall would block connections from users and possibly even ports. I'd say stick with Windows Defender and block ports you don't use.

Giannis

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 27, 2014
So I should be ok with Windows Defender and Windows Firewall? My machine is set on public on network so I've only allowed the ports that the games use to be open. I also installed Zemana Antimalware with real time detection.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Bryan Lam

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2015
So I should be ok with Windows Defender and Windows Firewall? My machine is set on public on network so I've only allowed the ports that the games use to be open. I also installed Zemana Antimalware with real time detection.
Yep :) Sounds good. Just make sure to keep redundant backups of game server files

Giannis

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 27, 2014
Could be a stupid question, but is there a way for someone to be able to access on my server through the game ports that are open? You know like attempt to send something malicious through them or whatever. We are not talking about keyloggers or anything similar since I already put protection against that.

Last edited:

inuyasha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017

yes

Bryan Lam

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2015
Could be a stupid question, but is there a way for someone to be able to access on my server through the game ports that are open? You know like attempt to send something malicious through them or whatever. We are not talking about keyloggers or anything similar since I already put protection against that.
Not a stupid question at all. What game are we talking about here?

Giannis

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 27, 2014
Mostly about Minecraft, Call of Duty servers right now. Our server is in Russia so WoW can be supported as well.

Bryan Lam

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2015
Mostly about Minecraft, Call of Duty servers right now. Our server is in Russia so WoW can be supported as well.
Should be fine then. No exploits you should be worried about. Although, try get Linux running and get IPTables to block out DDoS attacks and stop Bruteforce attacks.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.