Basic Security TKronic's Config

TKronic

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 7, 2018
I think its interesting that you guys recommend full system image backups... (I believe this is what your are suggesting). If I was infected or my system starts to run strange I would prefer to just do a complete wipe and fresh installation of the OS. I just have windows backing up my personal documents (which is not much, maybe a text document here or there, but all my media etc. is located on a NAS). What are the benefits of a full image backup?

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I think its interesting that you guys recommend full system image backups... (I believe this is what your are suggesting). If I was infected or my system starts to run strange I would prefer to just do a complete wipe and fresh installation of the OS. I just have windows backing up my personal documents (which is not much, maybe a text document here or there, but all my media etc. is located on a NAS). What are the benefits of a full image backup?
Well, it's about that with a backup. Time is saved, and there is no need to reformat and install all the programs one by one.
And not only for the infection, there are also conflicts that do not allow you to enter the windows and with a copy in ten minutes you have your system just as you left it when you made the copy.:)

TKronic

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 7, 2018
Well, it's about that with a backup. Time is saved, and there is no need to reformat and install all the programs one by one.
And not only for the infection, there are also conflicts that do not allow you to enter the windows and with a copy in ten minutes you have your system just as you left it when you made the copy.:)

Fair enough... I am not claiming to know anything about malware, but could it be possible for an infection to have been installed, lay dormant for a while, then spring to life? In this case, you would realize that you have an infection, copy over your last previous "clean image", but it could have the dormant malware ready to go again... Just an argument against relying on backups, and why I feel more comfortable starting from ground zero - especially if my security was compromised. Not going to argue about the convenience factor of restoring from backup haha.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Fair enough... I am not claiming to know anything about malware, but could it be possible for an infection to have been installed, lay dormant for a while, then spring to life? In this case, you would realize that you have an infection, copy over your last previous "clean image", but it could have the dormant malware ready to go again... Just an argument against relying on backups, and why I feel more comfortable starting from ground zero - especially if my security was compromised. Not going to argue about the convenience factor of restoring from backup haha.
Of course, you should always make copies knowing that your system is clean. If not, the malware will be in the copy. But copies are a great thing and all are advantages.
I suggest you have a backup program.
I use Macrium Reflect.(y)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Implement some type of 3rd party backup solution and back up important data to an external drive also.
Consider an additional on demand scanner
Thanks for sharing your config :).

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
System image backups will be very useful in case something breaks and you cannot restore the system. Bad configurations, malware attacks, whatever that demands a clean wipe, you can just restore with a system image you created when you knew your PC is clean.

If you tend to be infected and cannot guarantee your system is clean at the time of doing a system image, maybe it is not for you.

Good configuration, consider an extra on-demand scanner aforementioned. Thanks for sharing!

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018

Windows installation ... mass update ... ... installing software ... restoring adjusted services ...

It is recommended that you perform a completely clean system image backup at this timing.

Thanks for sharing!

TKronic

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 7, 2018
Why are you using Windows Firewall? Bitdefender already have one.

I have glasswire to visualize my network and I don't think it plays nice with Bitdefender Firewall ON. I prefer glasswire to Bitdefender because of the "ask to connect" function and history. I think bitdefender has "ask to connect" capability if you turn on paranoid mode, but I just prefer glasswire, and I don't see why windows firewall works any worse than bitdefender's. Only thing that sucks is I have the windows defender icon on my taskbar constantly showing "actions needed" and I can't disable the firewall alert because the option is greyed out for whatever reason.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@TKronic: consider to use ZAM Free and Norton Power Eraser as on demand scanners.

Tagged as Secure, thanks for sharing your config :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.