To like or not to like - are Facebook right to remove the like button?

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Personally I have never seen the point of the like button. I would rather just read and assess content for myself rather than be told how popular it is, and it leads to many people checking how many likes they have before anything else. And where the person who gives the like is known, it often leads to people just blindly 'liking' every post just to get likes in return. All very childish in my view. Ditch the like button..

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
They should, from facebook and instagram...would be huge help to avoid childs mental disorder as they dont get sad by not having likes, since likes can be kind of status symbol

Likes here at MalwareTips or upvotes as reddit example are different thing and can help discussion to go right way and help you see posts youre looking for

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I fully agree with @Moonhorse .

Also as mentioned in the topic title it seem Facebook and also Instagram and hopefully other social media platforms slowly starts to understand it's negative effect.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Apart from being an indicator of content value, many get off on this kind of thing, esp. if it's negative. Maybe this causes a mass objection and loss of traffic should Likes be removed, so the administrators could modify some parts of the platform without Likes as an experiement.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Honestly i don't see how Likes could be value of anything, it is totally subjective. The thing is we live in a society based on appearance and self-adoration. Just look at here when some security configs get the red "risky" tags and the member, clearly offended, is whining to the evil mods... The member is more preoccupied by how his setup looks like to others than wondering what he should change to improve it. See all those fancy and silly config with demi-dozen of active softs and tons of browser extensions...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.