Switching to Linux

• Yes I moved away from Windows to Linux for the majority of my tasks.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • Tried it, but decided to stick with Windows for now.

Votes: 36 50.7%
  • Tried it, but decided to stick with Windows permanently

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Never tried it, but plan to in the futuer

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Never tried it and never will.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Total voters
B

BVLon

washing and drying machines run on linux too :p
Some vending machines run on Linux, for example the ones that are in gyms here... There are many machines running on Linux actually. Washing machines however ain't linux-based. They have a very basic software and logic and they don't have a central OS. Rather, the main controller just calls different modules at different times and each module has its own software. :D
Most of the software comes down to measuring the electricity that's been passed through a conductor/semiconductor, (pressure switch, temperature sensor, motor hall sensor etc.) and comparing this value to a pre-defined one. Many components, such as door lock, buttons, etc. just output binary values (door lock can only be locked or unlocked and a function can be only activated/deactivated).
The only complicated part there is to run the motor, especially if it's an inverter one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raiden

Level 18
Verified
Content Creator
Update:

Well I decided to give Gnome v3 an honest go and I do have to take back some frustrations with it. I watched some youtube videos, because clearly I'm missing something and to be honest in was pleasantly surprised. I did not realize they switched it to a keyboard driven UI hence why there's no minimize/maximize buttons by default. I won't lie, I actually like it. It's a different take for sure compared to what I'm/we're use to.I know this may not be for everyone, but you may be pleasantly surprised if you havent tried it.

Raiden

Level 18
Verified
Content Creator
UPDATE:

Well I did it, installed PopOS on my gaming rig. No dual boot yet, just giving it a go alone for now. Good Lord, it's fast and not just fast, I mean super fast compared to Windows. I haven't ran Linux directly on hardware in a very long time, but man, it makes Windows seem extremely slow, even though W10 runs super fast for me. Gnome was working fine, but I installed KDE over top. At first I though KDE was messed up, extremely small fonts/UI. Gnome seemed to scale far better, but after some tinkering, I got it to work fine. I guess Nvidia can play a little funny with KDE at times.

Needless to say, I am enjoy it thus far. I still plan on building a new gaming rig based on Ryzen and with an AMD graphics card, as they seem to play better with Linux, compared to Nividia.

WhiteMouse

Level 2
Verified
Gaming on Linux used to be horrible but now with dxvk I lost only 5%-10% performance. I installed both Windows and Linux but haven't boot Windows for 2 weeks.

I don't play any games with anti-cheat.

Edit: Overwatch dxvk performance compare to Windows:

Edit 2: For anyone who play World of Warcraft, dxvk outperform both dx11 and dx12 on Windows.

Last edited:

Raiden

Level 18
Verified
Content Creator
Gaming on Linux used to be horrible but now with dxvk I lost only 5%-10% performance. I installed both Windows and Linux but haven't boot Windows for 2 weeks.

I don't play any games with anti-cheat.

Edit: Overwatch dxvk performance compare to Windows:

It's gotten pretty good and seems to be getting better. Thankfully the vast majority of my games are on Steam, so I can take advantage of proton. The others I'm going to give Lutris a go. Depending on how it goes I may still dual boot as there are a few things I may still need Windows for, but i like where Linux gaming has come and seems to be going.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
I am suffering from a linux addiction. I used to suffer from a security software addiction, and I thought that linux would cure me. But the linux addiction is even worse. No kidding. This morning I wiped everything from my SSD except for regular old Windows. But I have everything in Macrium Reflect backups, so I am not safe.....................

Raiden

Level 18
Verified
Content Creator
I am suffering from a linux addiction. I used to suffer from a security software addiction, and I thought that linux would cure me. But the linux addiction is even worse. No kidding. This morning I wiped everything from my SSD except for regular old Windows. But I have everything in Macrium Reflect backups, so I am not safe.....................

Welcome to LA...Linux Anonymous..

First step is admitting you have a Linux addiction...:p

I hear what you mean though. I really have been enjoying Linux thus far. It has come a long ways since I tried it last and it's growing on me more and more.

Dang it. OK....Big sigh, My name is Raiden and I am addicted to Linux.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Linux is like living in the country. It lacks conveniences but it has a different kind of charm. It's for people who like to "rough it." I don't want Linux to succeed as a commercial mass-market product, because then it won't be linux anymore.
Not really since Linux being open source means it has derivatives so the hobbyist's 'roughing it out' part is never really gone because of the infinite forking by the open source nature.

Raiden

Level 18
Verified
Content Creator
Pop!_OS fans, don't sleep on it's roadmap/planned features, upcomig 20.04 in the April is expected to be a banger! :D :oops:

It's a big list for sure. I know the one feature that has everyone using PopOS talking is the i3wm tiling feature for gnome. Seems like the folks and System 76 realize the Gnome is ok, but not great and are taking the approach to make it better. I'm planning on giving the beta a run once it's released.

Last edited:

low L!fe

Level 6
Verified
I used linux in 2011 opensuse 11.4 Gnome 2 then moved to Ubuntu then Arch Linux.

Windows is indispensable
If I have downloaded Linux as a platform, I cannot guarantee that it will start after restart .
It is recommended to install it as a Virtual machine and then practice it.

My main Oprating system is Windows 10.
and i installed Vmware 15.5 on my laptop.
Inside it there is
Kal linux , Opensuse, Manjaro, Arch, Cent Os , Windows 7 , Metasploitable 2.

Linux for programmers, hackers, advanced users, developers, pentester,servers,open mind users ...etc.
Linux is never suitable for users,Gamers,Desingers.
Thanks.

Raiden

Level 18
Verified
Content Creator
UPDATE 2:

Well so far so good. I've been using PopOS exclusively and to be brutally honest, I dont miss Windows. Compared to Windows, PopOS is so much faster and responsive, it's not even funny. Every thing happens instantly and there's no delay. The only security software I added was GUFW firewall, nothing else. TBH, I dont miss having to tweak/ install secuirty programs. Not saying malware on linux isnt possible, just like living under the radar for now.:p

My games work, I can get HD audio for my HTPC. I rarely used office anymore, so Libreoffice is more than enough. If I need office, I can use the free web versions though my MS account.

Life is good in the Linux side. I will still keep windows in a VM for extremely rare instances that I need it, but barring some unforeseen circumstances, I don't see myself going back to Windows any time soon.

Last edited:

Protomartyr

Level 6
Verified
I've been testing out Pop!_OS as well. It's a very streamlined and focused distro. I like it's simplicity and responsiveness. Sadly I can only run it in a VM because I have a ThinkPad Yoga 2-in-1 that will lose functionality with any version of Linux. So I will have to stick with Windows on this machine.

When I can afford it, I'm aiming to purchase a System76 laptop that comes with Pop!_OS out of the box (or Ubuntu; you can specify which OS when ordering). I love the idea of a system that is purpose built with Linux in mind.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
I've been testing out Pop!_OS as well. It's a very streamlined and focused distro. I like it's simplicity and responsiveness. Sadly I can only run it in a VM because I have a ThinkPad Yoga 2-in-1 that will lose functionality with any version of Linux. So I will have to stick with Windows on this machine.

When I can afford it, I'm aiming to purchase a System76 laptop that comes with Pop!_OS out of the box (or Ubuntu; you can specify which OS when ordering). I love the idea of a system that is purpose built with Linux in mind.
Isn't it kind of ironic to save up money so you can buy new hardware capable of running a free OS?

Protomartyr

Level 6
Verified
@shmu26 You make a good point! Haha

The last time I ventured into Linux as my main OS was on another laptop around 3 years ago. It was a pain to setup (NVIDIA Optimus and WiFi difficulties) on that particular machine but I enjoyed using it. I like the idea of hardware built specifically with Linux in mind as I don't have to worry about incompatibilities or drivers (at least in theory). Plus I love getting new hardware/devices, so it's money that I'll gladly save up for!

Thales

Level 9
Linux is awesome It was my main OS for years or so but I use software that exist only for Windows and because of that I can't use Linux at the moment. I could use 2 partitions but I don't want to restart my computer all the time to log in a different OS.
I miss the Linux feeling but the best bet is to buy a 2nd laptop in the future or something like that. I still have to figure out what the best option is.

Raiden

Level 18
Verified
Content Creator
Isn't it kind of ironic to save up money so you can buy new hardware capable of running a free OS?

I know!
It's funny how far linux has come. In my limited experience thus far, despite needed newer hardware, it still is faster and more responsive than W10. Dont get me wrong W10 was still super fast for me, but PopOS is still way faster, it's quite noticeable IMO.

Linux is awesome It was my main OS for years or so but I use software that exist only for Windows and because of that I can't use Linux at the moment. I could use 2 partitions but I don't want to restart my computer all the time to log in a different OS.
I miss the Linux feeling but the best bet is to buy a 2nd laptop in the future or something like that. I still have to figure out what the best option is.

Have you tried just running Windows in a VM, or do you need it to run directly on the hardware? If not running Windows in a VM may be a good compromise.