Tom Clancy's The Division will receive two free expansion updates

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Ubisoft has announced that Tom Clancy's The Division will receive two free expansion packs this year as it celebrates its one year anniversary. Whilst the first expansion pack will comprise of a leaderboard system and cosmetic upgrades for each user, the second update may feature a content-focused narrative.

Julian Gerighty, The Division's creative director, said on the Ubisoft blog:

“This content will put a twist]on how people played the game [...] You may have already played in one style, but transforming that and then applying a competition filter is a very engaging way to deliver new experiences and new activities to the community.”

The first expansion pack is set to comprise of an event system which provide gamers with modifiers, leaderboards and cosmetic items that can only be achieved through completing specific in-game tasks. The developer team also has plans to include a 'loadout feature' - enabling players to switch quickly between gear combinations - in the update.

Gerighty suggests the second free expansion pack would be 'more content focused' with a high chance of featuring narrative content. Gerighty points out that this won't necessarily include new story missions - due to the complications of integrating a story narrative into the RPG aspect of the game. The team hopes the update will "reignite engagement with the content", despite the company already enjoying gamers' average gameplay time of multiple hours a day.

The title has enjoyed massive success since its launch in 2016, having broken the record for the highest worldwide sales in the first five days following its release. If you haven't done so already, be sure to check out our review of Tom Clancy's The Division.

Source: Ubisoft

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How does The Division compare to Wildlands? I played both Beta's but it's been a while to remember what The Division played like. Anyone have both?

Reactions: Exterminator

larry goes to church

Level 3
Verified
Mar 10, 2017
How does The Division compare to Wildlands? I played both Beta's but it's been a while to remember what The Division played like. Anyone have both?

I have never played windlands but i demo'd the division, I thought it was alright I would definitely play it if I had time.
I have a group of close friends that swear this is well worth the money though.

Reactions: Ink

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I've only played the two betas for Wildlands (with a friend) but I played through the Division (with the same friend) a while back and Division felt a lot nicer to play overall.
Wildlands felt pretty loose with everything it did and I found some stuff that felt like it just didn't work properly. The cover system and stealth mechanics were a big one. Taking cover is done automatically which is fine but if you didn't take cover facing the direction you wanted to shoot around a corner, your character doesn't turn around when you move the stick in the opposite direction, they walk backwards a good number of steps before turning around. So you end up having to either come back out of cover and go back facing the correct way or move back far enough while in cover for your character to turn around.
Stealth is a problem too mainly due to how the enemy AI works. They do have patrol patterns, but they're generally all walking around directly near each other, so taking them out one by one we found almost impossible a lot of the time. I really just didn't enjoy the betas at all.

The big problem with The Division is the story and the fact that it's part RPG. It's a 3rd person shooter with RPG elements slapped on, and not the good kind. Enemies soak up an absolute crap ton of damage; magazine upon magazine of bullets and it's really jarring with the pseudo-realistic setting. Character customisation is incredibly basic and the skills you acquire don't really change up the game that much.
The story is almost non-existent beyond the core premise.

The good points of the Division would be the environment and the shooting mechanics.
New York looks bloody beautiful with how well detailed the whole thing is. I'm not usually a stickler for graphics in games but I will heap praise onto Division for its rendition of New York.
The shooting's your standard 3rd person shooting. It works well for what it is and if you've played any other 3rd person shooter you'll get it right away.

Obviously I can't speak for Wildlands but I ended up liking The Division a lot more than I expected to. There was a lot of negativity surrounding the game when it was first released and my friend and I suggested we wait until it went on sale and then split the cost. For me it was well worth the money. We ended up doing every story mission, side quest and ended up getting all the collectables. The only thing we didn't do was the PVP aspect due to it being thoroughly broken and unenjoyable. (It's pretty much people with the highest level gear constantly killing lower tier people who stand no chance over and over again with them not being able to progress or take part properly and the high level players receiving no repercussions. It's also apparently filled with hackers on PC.) (I played both on PS4 and give Division a solid 7/10.)

TL;DR: I didn't like the Wildlands betas and I liked The Division a lot more than I thought I would and I'd label it good but not great. Worth picking up if you can get it on sale.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.