Advice Request Tool to Force Close a Hijacked Browser by Popup

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Sometimes whether I am using Chrome or Firefox the browser gets Hijacked by a pop-up that requires some type of response or action. When this happens it is hard to close the browser or force it.

Is there a tool that would either prevent this from happening or force close the browser?

BTW, I use UbO ad blocker with both browsers.

Reactions: oldschool

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Have you checked the build in FF settings?
ff option>privacy & security> permissions > block pop-up windows
option>privacy & security> permissions > notification(settings) > block new requests (not sure if related)
Maybe a other filter list for uBo is needed for that? (since I'm not using it atm better wait for the pros) To be honest I couldn't recall when I last saw a popup hijack and I have to admit I sometimes browse "strange" :D

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No. It was like browser was frozen.
In that case, use your preferred process management tool to force close the browser.

Check out this for uBlock Origin users:
Medium mode protection (blocking third-party scripts and frames) enhances security

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Just have UbO installed with Nano integration filters as described in other thread. What adjustment should I make?

Easy Mode with filter lists only, no matter how many, cannot match Medium Mode (block 3rd party scripts & frames) because the latter harnesses the power of the lists + global blocking, etc. You can also see more info here: Discuss - uBlock Origin/Nano Adblocker - user tips, questions and issues thread. No one can make you use medium mode, but it provides more protection when used properly and is worth learning more about it. Please also check the µBO Wiki: gorhill/uBlock and other links in my thread.

Are you able to open browsers without pop-ups showing upon start? More details might help. If the pop-ups appear randomly you should post your issue in Malware Removal thread. I see you don't have a security configuration posted, which might help others assess your situation as well.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Try using this extension on Firefox Popup Blocker (strict)
Same one I use with Opera.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Just an update, I am now using UbO in Medium Mode, and so far, so good. No broken websites encountered yet.

Info regarding the various settings, I found here: Best uBlock Origin Filter Settings To Block All Ads on Your Device and also here as well: gorhill/uBlock

Great. (y) If or when you run into broken websites that are tough to un-break then please post in the "Disuss: µBO/Nano etc... " thread (above) for help. Usually breakage happens for login, comments sections, videos, etc. And for sites you trust, if needed you can noop iframes & scripts to fall back to Easy mode+ and still block e.g. Google, Twitter, etc. (assuming you have previously blocked these globally).

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Closing via Alt+F4 or Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) usually works. Does that not work while getting a pop-up?

Maybe my task manager was kaput for the purpose. I will look for an alternative. Maybe Microsoft ProcExp.

After trying Ublock Origin in medium mode, which seems to be working, I read elsewhere here that someone tried SmartAdblock which sounds promising as an alternative to choosing rules, and customizations. I am going to give it a try. For those who may be interested in the particulars, information can be found here: SmartAdBlock.

I should add that the choice of your ad blocker is one of individual preference, so what works for me, may not work for you. UbO has been around for a while, so it is a known quantity, and you will not go wrong either if you choose to try it, and decide to keep it. Be sure to read the well documented guides posted on this site concerning the various modes easy, medium, and advanced.

Happy Ad Blocking!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.