Top Secret US Army and NSA Files Left Exposed Online on Amazon S3 Server

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Ten days after an Amazon S3 server exposed data from the US Army's CENTCOM and PACOM divisions, security researchers have identified another S3 server instance that leaked files from INSCOM, a joint US Army and NSA agency tasked with conducting intelligence, security, and information operations.

Just like the last Army leak, the exposed servers were found by the UpGuard team, who identified an S3 server hosting a small number of files and folders, three of which were freely downloadable.

Researchers find VM holding classified information
Of these three, researchers said that one was an Oracle Virtual Appliance (.ova) file that was an image of a virtual machine running a Linux-based operating system and an attached virtual hard drive.

Researchers were not able to boot the OS or access any of the files stored on the virtual hard drive. This was most likely because the OS boot-up process was conditioned to accessing services that were only accessible from the Department of Defense's (DOD) internal network, a classic method of securing sensitive systems.

Nonetheless, the metadata of files stored on the virtual hard drive allowed researchers to determine the SSD image held troves of highly sensitive files, some of which were classified with the TOP SECRET and NOFORN (NO FOReign Nationals) security classifiers.
UpGuard, who previously found other US government information exposed online, said this was the first time it discovered classified information left freely accessible on Amazon S3 servers.

"Regrettably, this cloud leak was entirely avoidable, the likely result of process errors within an IT environment that lacked the procedures needed to ensure something as impactful as a data repository containing classified information not be left publicly accessible," said the UpGuard team. "Given how simple the immediate solution to such an ill-conceived configuration is [...] the real question is, how can government agencies keep track of all their data and ensure they are correctly configured and secured?"

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

As I have been saying for the last 18 months, get your stuff off AWS, don't use AWS Crypto API. Since most password managers use AWS buckets, that makes the moving off of it more difficult.

The only stuff I have on AWS these days is cascade encrypted using Blowfish-AES-Twofish-Serpent-CAST6-IDEA with six different ciphers using symmetric encryption with 6720-bits for absolute protection.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Yes, You're Absolutely right now. :(

Yeah, I've been beating the 'ditch AWS' drum hard. It started about 18 months ago when I did some AWS audit work for a client and well, I'll leave that there other than to say my stuff starting being pulled shortly after. Prior to that some Snowden documents hinted at the CIA/NSA having AWS backdoored. I believe the term used in the leaked material was 'Greenwald was advised to move his encrypted files off of AWS, that's the kind of advice we need to prevent getting out.'...

Unfortunately, 1Password uses the entire AWS bucket and Cryptos. Sticky uses AWS but not cryptos, so less worrying. Dashlane uses AWS, but not cryptos from what they told me. One of the few products I found not using AWS was Bit Warden which uses secure Azure and the entire thing is opensource. Lastpass uses AWS across the board. Roboform doesn't use AWS (last I checked).

Bucket Integrity is a serious issue with AWS and it's not just from incompetent IT as Amazon would have you believe. I personally think AWS is heading toward a serious global breakdown. Speculation on my part, but given the incessant flow of negative press about AWS and AWS exploits and bucket reveals, it could be accurate.

Chigwells

Level 4
Jan 16, 2012
Thanks for elaborating ForgottenSeer 58943, very illuminating. I missed the Snowden comment :geek:

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thanks for elaborating ForgottenSeer 58943, very illuminating. I missed the Snowden comment :geek:

I've searched recently for where AWS was mentioned, but haven't found it - it was a mere sentence among thousands of pages.. Unfortunately the time investment to find the line wouldn't be worth it. I did read it and it caused me to pause a bit as to why the NSA was so upset Greenwald stopped using AWS.. When I find it, I will update with it.

Who needs WikiLeaks and Hackers When You Have Amazon Web Services? » Hostway

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
I've searched recently for where AWS was mentioned, but haven't found it - it was a mere sentence among thousands of pages.. Unfortunately the time investment to find the line wouldn't be worth it. I did read it and it caused me to pause a bit as to why the NSA was so upset Greenwald stopped using AWS.. When I find it, I will update with it.

Who needs WikiLeaks and Hackers When You Have Amazon Web Services? » Hostway

Is this the same Greenwald? Glenn Greenwald. Glenn Greenwald's partner detained at Heathrow airport for nine hours
Glenn Greenwald | The Guardianhttps://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/18/glenn-greenwald-guardian-partner-detained-heathrow

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.