Top VPNs secretly owned by Chinese firms

numike

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 1, 2018
Top VPNs secretly owned by Chinese firms

Nearly a third of top VPNs are secretly owned by Chinese companies, while other owners are based in countries with weak or no privacy laws, potentially putting users at risk, security researchers warn

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
This is why a VPN based in a country with a mature legal system and proper privacy laws (with no disclosure laws) is better than some shady offshore with no privacy laws and a CEO nobody knows the name of.

I fully agree with you and Windscribe has a very nice article about this:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm trying to find the list of VPNs. Nowhere to be found in the article and the source they cite is not exactly unbiased. VPNs are obviously a big money maker for Chinese companies so I can see how they are dominating the industry.
You can get some here

and here

Last edited:

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Fantastic way for the Communist to spy on foreigners.

"For example, seven of the top VPN services are owned by Gaditek, based in Pakistan. This means the Pakistani government can legally access any data without a warrant and data can also be freely handed over to foreign institutions, according to VPNpro. "

Thank you Paki security services.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I'm trying to find the list of VPNs.
It is best to go the source, the one, who actually did the research.
Code:
https://vpnpro.com/wp-content/uploads/Infographic-VPNpro-97-VPN-products-run-by-just-23-companies.pdf
It is pretty interesting privacy related webpage, some nice articles there, like I have never heard about Blur or j2team security.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.