Verified
Content Creator
Got this from one of reddit posts

TOR vs VPN.png

TairikuOkami

Level 29
Verified
Content Creator
From what I hear, TOR is only as secure as its nodes. Some estimate, that more than half nodes are run by the governments. Then again, when a single hacker can take control over a quarter of them, that makes you wonder? I would choose "a trusted" VPN over TOR at this time (no scripts within the portable browser).

SecureKongo

Level 4
Can anyone explain the Tor entry guard for me? Is it comparable to Secure Core from ProtonVPN?

HarborFront

Level 54
Verified
Content Creator
Can anyone explain the Tor entry guard for me? Is it comparable to Secure Core from ProtonVPN?

TOR entry guards are just some TOR servers run privately and NOT listed publicly whereas the exit nodes are listed and made available publicly so you can block the latter. And that's why you cannot surf some open net sites using TOR. There are much less entry guards than exit nodes.

ProtonVPN Sceure Core is just another name for a double-hop VPN service which is similarly provided by some VPN providers like NordVPN, Surfshark VPN etc

FireHammer

Level 6
Hi, I use both, first I turn on EkspressVPN then connecting with the Tor Browser, the VPN software is made for it, but then the connection is not so fast, but you are so anonymous as you can be.
I also use ProtonVPN Plus, as @HarborFront says it is a multi-hop VPN with a secure core function.

TairikuOkami

Level 29
Verified
Content Creator
Please explain what security your VPN service adds to Bitdefender.
I believe it is about the identity protection. VPN tries to protect it while Bitdefender merely checks, if it has already been compromised.
P.S.: Bitdefender Total Security includes only 200 MB per day of encrypted traffic, unless you buy a standalone Bitdefender Premium VPN.

Jan Willy

Level 4
OK, I watched the first video, but if a VPN service does not improve your security, what then?
In my eyes the only benefit of a VPN is securing your internet traffic when you use a public WI-FI network.
Edit:
But TLS encrypted traffic is already safe enough.

Last edited:

security123

Level 27
Verified
OK, I watched the first video, but if a VPN service does not improve your security, what then?
Watch the second video too. Both are explaining very good what a VPN does and what doesn't.

It's mainly for workers which need a secure connection to company PC. That's it.

In my eyes the only benefit of a VPN is securing your internet traffic when you use a public WI-FI network.
Even for that a VPN isn't needed nor recommend.
All important websites on the world use TLS to encrypt your data and Cert Pinning to protect against modification. DNS can be encrypted nowadays too and even without that, websites tell you if the connection is compromised like with wrong certificate.

But normal user's just need to watch if the site is secured with the "closed lock" icon in URL bar :)

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
A VPN can be used for any number of reasons. You can use it for pro privacy, bypass copyright laws, country restrictions. All are acceptable.

What's not great are those using these service to intentionally cause harm against others.

SpiderWeb

Level 4
I think you should use Tor through the browser for a single purpose and when you're done, get out. People who route their entire Internet through Tor are mad. You're putting all of your trust into one exit node. I think in principle, Tor is superior to VPNs but because of its superiority, it also got all the attention of nation states who have the resources to snoop and wait for your traffic at those exit nodes. Tor is more anonymous but you are instantly becoming suspicious because what kind of people use Tor...