Torrent Time infected ?

Malfhas

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
Hello,

Recently, I heard much talk of a kind of new version of popcorn time as a browser plugin.

This Chrome extension is anonymous, with a closed source, and I wish I had the opinion of some about it.

Indeed, do you think that there may be a malware or a coiner introduced?

Sorry if I'm in the wrong section, I do not have or post my request.

Reactions: Mihir :-)

Malfhas

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
I'm not sure I would go to the extent to say it is malicious (although that is possible) but certainly very shady and I wouldn't recommend it.

I have the same opinion as you, I will not use it some. I am a rather curious and that is why I am calling on the help of the community to have more information about this extension.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Found this randomly - not sure how reliable this website is: You Can Now Stream Video from Pirate Bay

Another site here: The Pirate Bay now lets you stream torrents from your browser

@Klipsh I don't see any detection by ClamAV but AVG detects. Not long ago, AegisLab detects as well (more than just adware). Will send this into Norton out of curiosity.

While I'd be willing to set up a VM to test this (for malicious activity) I'm not willing to use the torrent feature (download). Regardless though, if this plugin has anything to do with The Pirate Bay, I'd steer clear from it (they are known to have malicious ads on their site (which do sometimes drop files, lock up browser, etc), and needless to say, malicious torrent downloads sometimes.

And I personally like to stay on the legal side of things.

L

LabZero

Found this randomly - not sure how reliable this website is: You Can Now Stream Video from Pirate Bay

Another site here: The Pirate Bay now lets you stream torrents from your browser

@Klipsh I don't see any detection by ClamAV but AVG detects. Not long ago, AegisLab detects as well (more than just adware). Will send this into Norton out of curiosity.

While I'd be willing to set up a VM to test this (for malicious activity) I'm not willing to use the torrent feature (download). Regardless though, if this plugin has anything to do with The Pirate Bay, I'd steer clear from it (they are known to have malicious ads on their site (which do sometimes drop files, lock up browser, etc), and needless to say, malicious torrent downloads sometimes.

And I personally like to stay on the legal side of things.
Yes you're right, the detection is changed:)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
This is a tool with the sole purpose of enabling the streaming of pirated media ?
Not going near it with a 10ft. pole.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.