Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
TorrentHound has decided to shut down its popular torrent site, voluntarily. "Finito," the site's founder informed us in a brief message. Following the demise of KickassTorrents and Torrentz, the surprise shutdown means that three of the ten most visited torrent sites at the beginning of the year are now offline.

With millions of visitors per month the site enjoyed a fairly large userbase, but it never reached the status of giants such as The Pirate Bay, Torrentz, and KAT.

That said, copyright holders had no trouble finding the site. Over the years TorrentHound became the target of various industry complaints and the site was blocked in several countries. Nevertheless, it always remained online, until today.

A few hours ago the site’s ‘founder’ sent us an email with an ultra-short message: “Finito.”

A quick look at the website shows that this isn’t a prank. TorrentHound is the latest large torrent site to keel over this year.

torrenthound.png

At TorrentFreak we have been keeping a close eye on the torrent ecosystem for more than a decade, but never have we seen so many large sites going offline in such a short period.

TorrentHound follows the ‘example’ of KickassTorrents and Torrentz, which went offline in July and August respectively. This means that three sites from our top 10 most-visited torrent sites, are now gone.

Neither Torrentz nor TorrentHound have commented in detail on their surprise shutdowns. However, the fact that they followed shortly after KickassTorrents’ alleged operators were inducted by the U.S. Department of Justice, may not be a total coincidence.

It’s unlikely that TorrentHound was facing concrete legal pressure as it’s currently linking to various “not terrible” alternative torrent sites on its current homepage.

We asked our TorrentHound contact to shed some light on his decision and we will add an update if a response comes in.

TorrentHound’s founder was willing to provide some additional detail.

“It’s a combination of less traffic, less revenue and our bills piling up. Then add on constantly getting bugged by anti piracy agents, just wasn’t worth the headache anymore.”

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
this will be a blow to the face of many torrenters out there! and I really think that within s couple of more years torrenting will be nothing more than a myth! thanks for the share @kev216 :)
naw, this is just going to encourage more private sites that are more exclusive, this is making the case for
the Pay sites, they love this, and will greet the free users with open arms. All the pay sites are seeing dollar signs
every time a free site goes down. ;)

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
naw, this is just going to encourage more private sites that are more exclusive, this is making the case for
the Pay sites, they love this, and will greet the free users with open arms. All the pay sites are seeing dollar signs
I don't think free users will move to pay sites they just move to another free site.:)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I don't think free users will move to pay sites they just move to another free site.:)
Pay sites are protected, and often well hidden, some even require or highly recommend a VPN to access.
Your right, the average Joe wont because they are unaware of how or where to access the best of the paid sites, they can be quite elusive, as well as exclusive, but the "smart" ones will,
free sites dont afford the security or availability that paid sites offer.
Some require you to be sponsored, or referred by a paying member before they will even consider you for access. I know, I used to move in these circles ;)
But those who are aware will and do use Private pay for access for the security and guaranteed access. For all the years they have been around very few "pay for access"
sites have been closed, very few.

Butterfly

Level 3
Verified
Jul 28, 2015
If only the rest of society thought like this ;)
The rest of society doesn't think like this because the rest of society doesn't have the same privileged life, availability and pricing policies you have.
Pay sites are not the only exclusive pirate sites, there are also private trackers which are free,popular and secure. They can require an invitation or interview before joining in but once you're in all you need to do is share as much as you take.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I do a lot of testing of Linux distros and occasionally find that a torrent is the only practical way of getting the ISO.
I sometimes wonder if my ISP has me flagged simply for that :)

BTW ( and slightly off-topic ) does anybody else here use Demonsaw for P2P sharing ?
It's an interesting project and there is a lengthy interview with the dev here .

I might start a new thread on it if I get any feedback from fellow users.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
The rest of society doesn't think like this because the rest of society doesn't have the same privileged life, availability and pricing policies you have.

Pay sites are not the only exclusive pirate sites, there are also private trackers which are free,popular and secure. They can require an invitation or interview before joining in but once you're in all you need to do is share as much as you take.
Your correct, and I skirted this and a few more observations out of discretion. Seeing this is a security themed website I did not want to be seen as justifying or encouraging
interest in this avenue. Maybe that's me being over cautious but I am sure you understand. Thanks Butterfly ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.