Toshiba officially exits the PC business

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
End of an era Toshiba was the first company to bring a laptop PC to market in 1985, known as the T1100. Now, decades later, the company that played such an important role in mobile computing, is leaving the PC business behind.

In 2018, Toshiba saw the writing on the wall for its PC business, as it sold a majority stake (80.1%) to Sharp. Sharp, which now operates under Foxconn's conglomerate umbrella, would use the majority stake as a foothold to re-enter the PC market.

Under the terms of the sale, Sharp acquired most of Toshiba's products, technology, brands, and other assets that were formerly part of Toshiba's Client Solutions Group. Sharp then brought the business under the Dynabook brand, and Toshiba retained a 19.9 percent stake.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
The T-1000 may also be a Toshiba product.:LOL:
c6526ed1b6.jpg
In just over 10 years, the restructuring of the Japanese pc brand has progressed rapidly. As long as we deal with products that have unified parts and OS standards, that may be fate.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
My first laptop was a Toshiba running XP.
Toshiba laptops were sold in Japan under the trademark "Dynabook". This trademark seems to have been used only in Japan.
That's why some Japanese thought Toshiba laptops were related to the Palo Alto Research Center.
My first laptop was a Toshiba Satellite C640. It was very good but after a while it had a broken hinge.
Sony hinges may be a little bit durable.:LOL:

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Toshiba laptops were sold in Japan under the trademark "Dynabook". This trademark seems to have been used only in Japan.
That's why some Japanese thought Toshiba laptops were related to the Palo Alto Research Center.

Sony hinges may be a little bit durable.:LOL:
That was what led to the demise of my last laptop, a Gateway NV with the power button absurdly built into the hinge. When the power button broke, I used software to hibernate and un-hibernate it for two more years of service.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
My first laptop was a Toshiba running XP.
Mine was too. It survived 9 years until the HDD failed, but I should have replaced it earlier, as it had only 256 *MB* of non-upgradeable RAM and a single-core Celeron, and was too weak to run even a bare-bones version of Firefox. (I had blamed the performance on slow Internet, not realizing until I changed computers that the problem was lack of memory.)

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
The early Toshibas (pre-2005 and manufactured in the Philippines) were much better than the later ones made in China. I had bad experiences with late-2000s Toshiba and Sony laptops.
I have the impression that the quality of Japanese products has declined sharply since around 2000. The withdrawal from the business is even more pronounced in products such as televisions and displays, and few products made in Japan are already on the market.:cry:
About 7 years ago.. I purchased Toshiba Satellite laptop..Still, I have it on working status. though its paint peels off..Toshiba is the icon of durability, quality and reliability..Very sad to see its decline
Handle the hinges with care!:LOL:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.