Reactions: JB007 and amico81

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Opening this thread triggered ESET so I think that says it all.
Yes, ESET is one of the 6 AVs to mark it as PUP

Reactions: JB007 and upnorth

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
From just reading the site

"Once downloaded, just register for free inside our app and in a matter of minutes your free smart scan will begin using our latest antivirus definitions. The smart scan will highlight any malware, PUAs, privacy concerns and also show you some recommendations to improve the performance of your computer. If malware is detected we will remove the threats for free.

After the scan we will assist you to resolve any issues located for free and you will also have the option to upgrade to our premium antivirus which will automatically block harmful threats & viruses instantly in real-time."

Very obvious that this is just a scanner at best and scareware at worst. Probably would show some fake malware and ask you to pay for the premium version to remove it (I'm not sure just making a guess from why so many AVs mark this as PUP)

My AV Kaspersky seems perfectly fine with this weblink and the downloaded file.

Reactions: JB007 and upnorth

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Does Total AV have a free version?
There is a free version, which does not include real-time protection. It can scan and remove threats, but there is a big catch. Whenever you remove threats, disable a startup item, or clean juk files, etc. it also opens the purchase page in your browser and also shows an upgrade button. Every single time you get TotalAV to perform an action, this happens.

It is also sold under other names such as ScanGuard. I've tested it before and it does not work well.

There's a review at PC Mag.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
It uses Avira's scan engine, so its scan resuts can be trusted. But it is not a good antivirus.

On top of AV scans there is quite a bit of junkware attached to it as well, gonna do a small post on it below, give me a bit :)

Alright so let's take a look at the program itself.

Right off the bat the program starts with a "quick scan" of your system once the installation is complete.

Note the other junkware attached to the scanner (disk cleanup, system tune-up and "recommendations")

Even though it is stated that they are using the Avira engine, you can see that they see cookies as a threat.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.