Tp-link fixes code execution vulnerability in end-of-life routers

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Router manufacturer TP-Link recently fixed a vulnerability in a discontinued line of routers that if exploited could have been used to execute code on the device.

Researchers at

Senrio, a firm that specializes in IoT security, uncovered a logic vulnerability in a configuration service present in TP-Link’s PTWR841N V8 router models.

Read More. TP-Link Fixes Code Execution Vulnerability in End-of-Life Routers

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
And the remaining 10% know what is the firmware, they know that it has to be constantly updated, but ... often they forget it :oops:
Haha, so true. I guess I am one of them.
When I bought my TP Link wr841n router, I checked if there were any updates available at the time, there weren't any. After that I didn't thought of updating it. So I guess the update mechanism should atleast be made so that end user can even know that updates are available for their device.
And thanks to MT now I know about the update.
Edit: typo corrected

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Haha, so true. I guess I am one of them.
When I bought my TP Link wr841n router, I checked if there were any updates available at the time, there weren't any. After that I didn't thought of updating it. So I guess the update mechanism should atleast be made so that end user can even know that updates are available for their device.
And thanks to MT now I know about the update.
Edit: typo corrected
My Netgear shows the update availability in the web command interface, but I often forget to access the interface :D:rolleyes:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.