New Update Tracking prevention add-ons: Firefox Multi-Account Containers for Facebook, Twitter, Google, Youtube and more!

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
782160-64.png

Firefox Multi-Account Containers by Mozilla
Firefox Multi-Account Containers – Add-ons for Firefox
Firefox Multi-Account Containers lets you keep parts of your online life separated into color-coded tabs that preserve your privacy. Cookies are separated by container, allowing you to use the web with multiple identities or accounts
124,277Users

954390-64.png

Facebook Container by Mozilla
Facebook Container – Add-ons for Firefox
Prevent Facebook from tracking you around the web. The Facebook Container extension for Firefox helps you take control and isolate your web activity from Facebook.
179,787Users

956928-64.png

Twitter Container by Vishwa
Twitter Container – Add-ons for Firefox
This addon is a fork of Mozilla's Facebook Container but for Twitter.
Twitter Container isolates your Twitter activity from the rest of your web activity in order to prevent them from tracking you.

956959-64.png

Google Container by Perflyst
It is a fork of the Facebook Container addon.
Google Container – Add-ons for Firefox
Prevent Google from tracking you around the web. The Google Container extension helps you take control and isolate your web activity from Google

958208-64.png

Youtube Container by Abdullah Diaa
Youtube Container – Add-ons for Firefox
Youtube Container is a fork from facebook container that isolates your Youtube activity from the rest of your web activity in order to prevent Youtube from tracking you outside of the Youtube website via third party cookies.

----------------------------------------

O tempora o mores!

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
We'll need one final container to keep all the containers

I thought some adblockers can block these social media plugins? If yes, then no need of such container extensions, right?

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Very professional posting about Firefox Multi-Account Containers - by talented, skillful developer Andrew @andryou :
andryou.com: Firefox Container Tabs - andryou

The Extension

Install: Firefox Multi-Account Containers

How to Use
Getting Started

1. Install the extension
  2. Click on the Multi-Account Containers icon in the browser toolbar
  3. Go through the short walkthrough
  4. You’ll be presented with the main interface (a list of default containers which you can edit or delete by clicking on “Edit Containers”)
Adding a Container

Best practice: create containers for sites which you log into and/or for “notorious” sites known to track users (e.g. Facebook and Google)

1. Click on the Container icon in the toolbar
  2. Click on “+”
  3. Type in the container name, select a colour, and select an icon
  4. Click on OK

Using a Container

Let’s assume we created a “Google” container with the intention of preventing Google from tracking you across the web:

1. Click on the Container icon in the toolbar
  2. Click on a container you’d like to open a tab for (e.g. “Google”)
    1. A new tab will open; note that it should have a bottom line in the colour you chose
  3. Browse to a site (e.g. www.google.com)
  4. Click on the Container icon in the toolbar
  5. Check “Always open in *container name*

Repeat the above steps for any other sites associated with the container (e.g. Gmail).

If you attempt to access a site which has been added to a container, you may see the following screen:

You’d probably want to tick “Remember my decision for this site” and click on the suggested (blue) button (e.g. “Open in Google Container”).

Going one step further with Temporary Containers

Doing the above and setting up containers is a huge step forward in terms of enhancing your privacy on the web, but there is something we can do to further enhance it.

If you click on a link in a “container-ed” tab, it will open a new tab within the container. What if it’s a third-party site that we don’t accessing our container’s data?

• Without Temporary Containers: clicking on a third-party link in a container will open it within that container
  • With Temporary Containers: clicking on a third-party link in a container will open it in a new, separate, and temporary container

Install: Temporary Containers

Configuring Temporary Containers... ...
...read MORE on the website...

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I hate Firefox, mostly because of the scrolling, font handling and some extensions I like simply don't work correctly on Firefox. But with all of these containers, it has me re-evaluating it. Sort of..
I know, right? I've been trying to fix the fonts issue but nothing seems to work. When I find the solution, I'll immediately stop using Chrome and start using Firefox.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
I don't have font lisibility problems in my Firefox (ESR 52.7.3).

First: to don't have the font too bold, but sharp, fine - forbid google fonts, in ScriptSafe or ContentBlockHelper or Domain Whitelist on Chrome, and in 3PRB or ScriptSafe on Firefox. Text then turn into sharp, like I've here.

My Font settings (in Firefox Preferences/Content):
All fonts: Arial ...Size:16
but Monospace: Courier New ...Size: 16
Minimum font size: 15 - so small fonts turn into sharp, no more blurry...

Notched: Allow pages to choose their own fonts...

Then zoom the pages to 110% (in "Open menu" window) - if you wish...

Use MalwareTips Midnight 2018 black style 24/24, and, if you wish black mode on autres websites, use "Dark Mode" add-on/extension - recently this add-on no longer reacts (in Firefox...) with MalwareTips, it's very convenient, because dark style from MT have a better look!..thanks @Jack! - but on Chrome reacts ...
- or to darking font color on default white style: use another add-on "Font Contrast" by Fushko.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Firefox is pretty much unusable for me. Not just the font junk. Magic Actions Dark Mode for Youtube doesn't work. Among other things. Also it randomly has issues with a variety of websites and form entry locations. Last night it wouldn't even allow me to paste my 30 character password into my bank, I had to load Chrome and do it.

Firefox feels like the developers don't really use it, or don't understand simple usability of products. They really don't 'get it' with form, function and usability. Look at how much more graceful Yandex is in comparison. I really don't understand after all these years Firefix feels and functions so kludged...

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Firefox is pretty much unusable for me. Not just the font junk. Magic Actions Dark Mode for Youtube doesn't work. Among other things. Also it randomly has issues with a variety of websites and form entry locations. Last night it wouldn't even allow me to paste my 30 character password into my bank, I had to load Chrome and do it.

Firefox feels like the developers don't really use it, or don't understand simple usability of products. They really don't 'get it' with form, function and usability. Look at how much more graceful Yandex is in comparison. I really don't understand after all these years Firefix feels and functions so kludged...
Which Firefox version are you using? Since Firefox Quantum was released, I haven't got a single "not responding".

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017

Try Opera, latest updates made me change to it, you get all the chrome extensions, plus opera ones.
Yandex was giving me issues with recaptcha and youtube embedded videos.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Firefox (and its forks) are my savior from some site rendering problems on Chrome forks here...

Opera gives a lot of work to the Ccleaner here...

Reactions: vtqhtr413
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Try Opera, latest updates made me change to it, you get all the chrome extensions, plus opera ones.
Yandex was giving me issues with recaptcha and youtube embedded videos.

I am going to try Opera tonight.. I used Opera for years and enjoyed it. Yandex is gorgeous and functional, but riddled with problems and spying implications.

Opera is my only hope for non-browser suckage now. Hope it's improved in the last year, I think it was a year ago when I tried it last.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I am going to try Opera tonight.. I used Opera for years and enjoyed it. Yandex is gorgeous and functional, but riddled with problems and spying implications.

Opera is my only hope for non-browser suckage now. Hope it's improved in the last year, I think it was a year ago when I tried it last.
I changed from Yandex to Opera a while ago and didn't regret it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.