Trend Micro Announces HijackThis to Go Open Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

samit

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
"Trend Micro HijackThis has been a free utility that generates an in-depth report of registry and file settings from your computer. HijackThis makes no separation between safe and unsafe settings in its scan results – this offers you the ability to selectively remove items from your machine. In addition to this scan-and-remove capability, HijackThis comes with several tools that are useful for manually removing malware from a computer.

At this time, Trend Micro has decided to move the source code for HijackThis to an open source location. Open source developers can now take the source code and make their own modifications and additions they feel are needed. Trend Micro will still maintain a copy of the original source code and update the code at times to ensure developers can always get access to the Trend Micro version.

Advanced users can use HijackThis to remove unwanted settings or files."

V

Vextor

Good decision from Trend Micro. HijackThis wasn't one of the products on the high-list. It wasn't getting updated that much, and it really needed the open-source community to go ahead and improve on it, and update it properly.

However, this will likely mean Trend Micro's 100% abandoned this project, so don't expect any more updates.

samit

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
here's the link: http://majorgeeks.com/story.php?id=33365

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Didn't that "Merlin" guy produce this originally as open source before Trend ??

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
The main question would be: Who is still using HijackThis these days?... All the advanced users have dumped this product in favor of much powerful products like OTL .
Right now HijackThis is an outdated piece of software , so going open source is the wise thing to do .. maybe some geeks with dev. skills will manage to actually improve this product so that it will be any good in the present days..

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Jack said:
The main question would be: Who is still using HijackThis these days?... All the advanced users have dumped this product in favor of much powerful products like OTL .
Right now HijackThis is an outdated piece of software , so going open source is the wise thing to do .. maybe some geeks with dev. skills will manage to actually improve this product so that it will be any good in the present days..

I haven't used HijackThis in many years now after Trend Micro bought it, they hardly did any improvements, in set in beta development for years before reaching its final version.

I have been using Emsisoft HiJackFree and Microsoft Autoruns as an alternatives. I tried OTL and didn't like it.

With HijackThis going open-source, there is a much better choice with getting a better updated build of it. I'm sure other developers will take opportunity.

Thanks.:D

savit

Level 1
Apr 9, 2011
Trend Micro moves HijackThis to Open Source location - http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

Access to HijackThis code

To access and download the HijackThis source code, please visit: http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Watch out! Comodo might copy.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That's the good thing, Hijackthis may still used for somebody for advance analysis and since its now already in Open Source then it may back from some users to used it.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Earth said:
Watch out! Comodo might copy.

This could be good for Comodo as long as they don't violate the license code like they have did with other software (Process Hacker, Process Explorer, Microsoft Autoruns).

Comodo HijackThis, sounds like a good ideal to replace Comodo Autoruns.
I'm sure Comodo could improve it with security features.

Thanks.:D

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
This could be good for Comodo as long as they don't violate the license code like they have did with other software (Process Hacker, Process Explorer, Microsoft Autoruns).

To spare this thread from going off-topic to re-hash was has already been discussed, you've yet to furnish any proof of your accusations. :rolleyes: Surely, big news like this deserves its own thread...

samit

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
Hijackthis source code is available for download in majorgeeks.....here's the link http://majorgeeks.com/HijackThis_Source_Code_d7574.html

Ibrad

Apr 29, 2011
Looking forward to taking a look at the code, I am going to be interested to see if anything comes of this.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011

I still use it once in a while (blushing). I use it mainly for unwanted grayware associated with browsers and advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.