Advice Request Trend Micro is it worth it? What's your opinion?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

How would you rate Trend Micro Internet Security?

• 5 Stars (Excellent )

• 4 Stars (Very Good)

• 3 Stars (Good)

• 2 Stars (Fair)

• 1 Star (Poor)

• I have not tried Trend Micro Internet Security

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
i have used it for 3 months...very nice GUI, a few options for tweaking.
very good scores from various test labs. I could feel an impact on my system.
But i felt safe and thats important (y)

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I gave it a one month trial 4 years ago on my desktop, and I found it too heavy - boot time was slow I didn't like the UI much back then.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I can not qualify Trend Micro at this time because I have not used it for a while. But it has a very high rating. in Av Comparatives and AV test.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I personally have not tried Trend Micro at all but i know someone (@ForgottenSeer 58943) who might have a word or two about them.

1) Heavy in some areas. Really heavy in other areas. Not as heavy in some. Certainly not lightweight.
2) Mediocre PUA/PUP/Riskware detection.
3) GREAT Web Filtration Database but expect some slowdown on complex pages.
4) POOR Self protection. Malware has been known to hijack Trend Micro and turn it's core services into spyware.
5) CIA Operated, CIA Telemetry Gathering. Booz Allen Hamilton's CIA Analyst team merged with Trend Micro's Lab.
6) Fishy responses from top leadership. Trend CEO said "We must remember, intelligence people are the good guys". Given what we know now, we know that 'good guys' is a fluid term that seems to shift with ambitions and political tides.

Would I run it? Not a chance in hell.

kyros

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 18, 2015
ForgottenSeer 58943, what would you suggest?
eset maybe, or stay with windows defender? or else?

Last edited:
Reactions: Weebarra

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You can start by sharing your PC Security Configuration. Click below:
PC Security Configuration

There is little point in shouting out any recommendations without what you're currently running, the risks you take etc.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

This is a huge and loaded question that can vary a great deal depending on everything from your risk, usage level, and even cosmetic preferences. I know what I like to avoid more than what I like to be honest so often I just recommend what to avoid and allow people to try products from there. Sorry to be vague. To be absolutely honest, I find 'most' AV products to have bugs, nuisances, stability issues, slowdowns or just plain poor usability.

Which is why I feel refreshed when I use my Chromebooks and/or Linux boxes and leave the security theater behind.

Also, I tend to recommend protection and securing of the WAN and DNS as paramount over any specific endpoint product as a first and second line of defense. Once you properly secure a network and DNS, then picking an endpoint product becomes less of what one is great, but what one stinks less and causes the less hassles for you.

That being said, you can find my configuration here;

SECURE - ForgottenSeer 58943's Security Config

A few things have changed but the majority haven't.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I've been using Trend for years now and have not had a problem with them at all! From the beta testing I did, and the virus testing I'm doing.
Yeah they were heavy in resources in the past but now a days I've not had a problem. Most computers now are days have atleast 8GB or higher of ram, so performance isn't an issue. The web filter with Trend I've found is really really good. The thing that Trend does lack (but have gotten better over time) is the malware detection, but for me most of the time where I see a blocked dangerous screen from the web filter I tend to leave the site.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
In Japan it seems to be the security software with the highest name recognition. Although an acquaintance used it, only an impression with slow remained. I think that there are better options if you can spare a little time on security measures

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
In Japan it seems to be the security software with the highest name recognition. Although an acquaintance used it, only an impression with slow remained. I think that there are better options if you can spare a little time on security measures

Trend Micro also very famous in my country ,
after all , the one of founder was born from my country .

Trend Micro put many advertising in my country , TV、website、magazine、newspaper .... etc.

The performance should already be improve in 2017 and 2018 version ,
just like #14 says , most computers now are have at least 8GB or higher of ram .

However , the Trend Micro basically is a cloud defenses software ,
had almost 70% detect ability need the internet stay in connection status .

You must to make sure your internet quality isn't too worst ,
at least need 15.6 kbps (upload speed) to work perfect .

When Trend Micro detected unknow program or suspected threats ,
Trend Micro will upload the item's information , and analysis it .
if the cloud analysis found a threats ,
than your Trend Micro will stop that program and protect your system .
if the cloud analysis can't find any threats , than unknow program will allow to execute .

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Trend Micro also very famous in my country ,
after all , the one of founder was born from my country .

Trend Micro put many advertising in my country , TV、website、magazine、newspaper .... etc.

The performance should already be improve in 2017 and 2018 version ,
just like #14 says , most computers now are have at least 8GB or higher of ram .

However , the Trend Micro basically is a cloud defenses software ,
had almost 70% detect ability need the internet stay in connection status .

You must to make sure your internet quality isn't too worst ,
at least need 15.6 kbps (upload speed) to work perfect .

When Trend Micro detected unknow program or suspected threats ,
Trend Micro will upload the item's information , and analysis it .
if the cloud analysis found a threats ,
than your Trend Micro will stop that program and protect your system .
if the cloud analysis can't find any threats , than unknow program will allow to execute .

Hello

I believe Trend Micro's reputation is based on the impact of marketing rather than product performance.

Is earthquake damage okay?
At the time of the earthquake in Japan in 2011, I heard that there were many aid from Taiwanese people.
I am worried because I also lived in the affected area of Japan.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Trend has been reverse engineered and can be commandeered by trojans with core services replaced. As demonstrated in the Hacker Deterrant thread, and tested over several weeks where this particular hijack was repeated. So just be advised about that. I simply do not trust the program. I also don't trust the fact that Trend Micro is basically merged AT THE HIP with the CIA and CIA Contractors.

Booz Allen Hamilton and Trend Micro Partnership Fuses Advanced Analytics and Highest Quality Threat Intelligence for Real-Time View into Cybersecurity Threats Powered by Best-in-Class Research Team | Trend Micro Newsroom

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
Hello

I believe Trend Micro's reputation is based on the impact of marketing rather than product performance.

How is Trend Micro's evaluation in japan ? is it popular ? many people use it ?
as i know , Japan's Trend Micro branch are be responsible for finance department .
i am not sure did Japan's Trend Micro have sell the personal product and enterprise product or not .

Is earthquake damage okay?
At the time of the earthquake in Japan in 2011, I heard that there were many aid from Taiwanese people.
I am worried because I also lived in the affected area of Japan.

Thanks a lot for your concern , :giggle:
it's ok in my city Taipei , but the city Hualien isn't so well ,
but everything will going to be fine . (y)

Pray for those wounded and mourn those who passed away .

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
How is Trend Micro's evaluation in japan ? is it popular ? many people use it ?
as i know , Japan's Trend Micro branch are be responsible for finance department .
i am not sure did Japan's Trend Micro have sell the personal product and enterprise product or not .

Thanks a lot for your concern , :giggle:
it's ok in my city Taipei , but the city Hualien isn't so well ,
but everything will going to be fine . (y)

Pray for those wounded and mourn those who passed away .

I think that sales are generally widely expanded. It seems that there are many people who are not interested in security so much and are purchased with insurance factors.

Trend has been reverse engineered and can be commandeered by trojans with core services replaced. As demonstrated in the Hacker Deterrant thread, and tested over several weeks where this particular hijack was repeated. So just be advised about that. I simply do not trust the program. I also don't trust the fact that Trend Micro is basically merged AT THE HIP with the CIA and CIA Contractors.

People who care about PC security tend to avoid it due to the situation pointed out by @ ForgottenSeer 58943, but such users are quite a few in Japan.

F

ForgottenSeer 67480

I object to use this heavy AV, because he really slowed down my PC and makes so much laggy. This antivirus is a joke what about performance and stability. In what he is good? In Protection only. Worst Paid Laggy Antivirus EVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.