Advice Request Trend Micro is it worth it? What's your opinion?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

How would you rate Trend Micro Internet Security?

• 5 Stars (Excellent )

• 4 Stars (Very Good)

• 3 Stars (Good)

• 2 Stars (Fair)

• 1 Star (Poor)

• I have not tried Trend Micro Internet Security

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
i bought it a few months ago and it was very heavy in the first few days but then it got lighter but way to heavier for my liking . I tried to bear with it and then i gave up . Internet browsing was horrendously heavy . Could not even get the money back as it was too late . So not so heavy on the system but browsing is.

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
I am not sure why #21 and #22 feel it's heavy in your system ,
but in AV-TEST , the Trend Micro's performance test is pretty great ,
better than ESET and Norton !

225652t58p0mbwvpw8voie.png.jpg

I didn't use Trend Micro on my PC right now ,
but my friend did , and i never hear any complain from him .

I use Trend Micro before on my VM system , to test some malware and Ransomware (just for fun) ,
I set up my VM system with 2 core CPU and 4GB RAM , still works smooth .

it was very heavy in the first few days but then it got lighter but way to heavier for my liking . I tried to bear with it and then i gave up . Internet browsing was horrendously heavy .

I guess maybe because Trend Micro are trying to scan all your system and collect the information ,
to make a white list , create a copy for your system when it's normal ,
when your system had infected or attack , Trend Micro will have the way to roll back .

But indeed , Trend Micro's internet browsing is little heavy ,
I guess it's because Trend Micro will scan those internet packet .

But Trend Micro's internet protect is powerful ,
their black list is quite adequate , and update fast ,
many people testing their internet protect , Trend Micro did great at this part .

If the safety problem is more important to you ,
a little performance impact should be acceptable .

Last edited:
Reactions: bribon77
F

ForgottenSeer 67480

But Kevin, i object to really disappointable performance Trend Micro, because he still keep lagging me PC even if i have 8GB RAM and 3.40GHZ Procesor.

Reactions: tonibalas

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
Yes i can confirm that trendmicro is heavy during browsing. YouTube didn't load fast and laggy. That was my reason why i have kicked it from my system

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Different systems different performance.
On my system even a couple years ago Trend was performing pretty good.
Not as light as Eset but it was good.
A friend of mine who gave a try a few months ago told me that it was a bit heavy so he chose something else.
And his specs are far better than mine. Go figure.
My personal opinion is that it a good security solution.

F

ForgottenSeer 67480

But tonibalas, i still object to use TrendMicro. He is so much laggy even for browsers. For me: Eset, Norton and Emsisoft have THE BEST Performance and Protection with stability level because no lags.

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
But Kevin, i object to really disappointable performance Trend Micro, because he still keep lagging me PC even if i have 8GB RAM and 3.40GHZ Procesor.

I can't exactly tell you why this happen ,
just like #26 told , different systems had different performance.

Maybe there have other program in your system and have some compatibility problem ,
influences Trend Micro's performance .

Reactions: upnorth
F

ForgottenSeer 67480

I can't exactly tell you why this happen ,
just like #26 told , different systems had different performance.

Maybe there have other program in your system and have some compatibility problem ,
I don't use any other programs.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017

that's true...but av-comparatives confirm the "not so good" performance in their test

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@ShadicTheHedgehog your decision is simple.
If you find it laggy don't use it.
As i said different system different performance.
Even Eset that is considered to be among the best regarding performance some people find laggy and they don't use it.
I always decide to use a security software based on performance first and then on protection.
If the av is heavy on my system then i simply don't use it.
If it's ok then i see how good it can protect me.
As i said from my experience i think Trend is a good software.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
I would not use Trend Micro, but that depends on each one, if you're interested, test it, if it fits your system well, leave it that way, if you do not like it, change it, simple.

Reactions: catjc and tonibalas

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Trend has been reverse engineered and can be commandeered by trojans with core services replaced. As demonstrated in the Hacker Deterrant thread, and tested over several weeks where this particular hijack was repeated. So just be advised about that. I simply do not trust the program. I also don't trust the fact that Trend Micro is basically merged AT THE HIP with the CIA and CIA Contractors.

Booz Allen Hamilton and Trend Micro Partnership Fuses Advanced Analytics and Highest Quality Threat Intelligence for Real-Time View into Cybersecurity Threats Powered by Best-in-Class Research Team | Trend Micro Newsroom

I recently installed Trend Micro Max on my PC, and have had no problems. I read many good reviews leading to my giving it a try. I was content with it until I read ForgottenSeer 58943's post above. That being said, can anyone else here, confirm what he is saying?

If true, I would have expected more of the tech gurus here recommending NOT to use it besides the usual reasons of system slow down, or slow browsing.

Thoughts?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I recently installed Trend Micro Max on my PC, and have had no problems. I read many good reviews leading to my giving it a try. I was content with it until I read ForgottenSeer 58943's post above. That being said, can anyone else here, confirm what he is saying?

If true, I would have expected more of the tech gurus here recommending NOT to use it besides the usual reasons of system slow down, or slow browsing.

Thoughts?

Booz Allen Hamilton on Twitter

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017

I also came across this link to an article on the Trend Micro Home Users Community website, which might be biased, which certainly adds more fuel to the fire. According to that, more than TM are effected. Begs the question, what to believe?

Wikileaks and CIA versus Trend Micro | Trend Micro Home Users Community

Here is a follow-up link to the above regarding some AV Vendor responses:

Antivirus Vendors React To The CIA 'Vault 7' Leaks

This all reminds me of the old adage that I read some time ago "that if man creates it, man can break it."

In my personal opinion, no matter what security software you have, they all probably can be hacked at some point. One just has to take precautions to make it as difficult as possible to exploit vulnerabilities.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

In my personal opinion, no matter what security software you have, they all probably can be hacked at some point. One just has to take precautions to make it as difficult as possible to exploit vulnerabilities.

There is a difference between an AV 'being hacked' to one that is essentially merged with intelligence. A BIG difference. Remember, one of the state goals of CIA and Trend merger was 'Analytics', and they didn't even hide this fact. Trend is one of the biggest players in the AV world, especially enterprise. So figure it out.

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
There is a difference between an AV 'being hacked' to one that is essentially merged with intelligence. A BIG difference. Remember, one of the state goals of CIA and Trend merger was 'Analytics', and they didn't even hide this fact. Trend is one of the biggest players in the AV world, especially enterprise. So figure it out.

So being that Trend Micro is in bed with the CIA vis a vis Booz Allen Hamilton, a reknown Cyber company, which AV vendor would you recommend which is least likely to be exploited by our own intelligence agencies? Kaspersky is still recommended by many but there is the Russian debacle. and according to the TM Forum link, I quoted, all the AV can be exploited. What is left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.