Advice Request Trend Micro is it worth it? What's your opinion?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

How would you rate Trend Micro Internet Security?

• 5 Stars (Excellent )

• 4 Stars (Very Good)

• 3 Stars (Good)

• 2 Stars (Fair)

• 1 Star (Poor)

• I have not tried Trend Micro Internet Security

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
So being that Trend Micro is in bed with the CIA vis a vis Booz Allen Hamilton, a reknown Cyber company, which AV vendor would you recommend which is least likely to be exploited by our own intelligence agencies? Kaspersky is still recommended by many but there is the Russian debacle. and according to the TM Forum link, I quoted, all the AV can be exploited. What is left?
European AVs. GData, Emsisoft, Bitdefender, ESET, FSecure
If I were you, I would be more afraid of your own intelligence agency than the Russian.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

So being that Trend Micro is in bed with the CIA vis a vis Booz Allen Hamilton, a reknown Cyber company, which AV vendor would you recommend which is least likely to be exploited by our own intelligence agencies? Kaspersky is still recommended by many but there is the Russian debacle. and according to the TM Forum link, I quoted, all the AV can be exploited. What is left?

The bane of AV exploitation is patching. Stagnation is loved by the agencies doing exploitation because it means code changes are only needed at rare, predictable intervals. Your question has a lot of open ended answers and is a complex thing to answer. Telemetry and logging can be exploited, so you may want to consider solutions that have little to no telemetry and log transmissions. Bullguard, Emsisoft, FortiClient. F-Prot and Gdata come to mind as ones known to be private/quiet. I'm sure there are some others that are pretty quiet. F-Secure is pretty good in this area too.

I guarantee you FortiClient sends NO data with logging and telemetry boxes unchecked. But don't trust me on this, check the activity yourself if you don't believe me. But that doesn't mean I think FortiClient is your best solution, just saying - and it's used in many secure environments where egress of data can't be tolerated - that's why the checkbox is there.

I guess to answer your question, maybe look for regularly updated products, low amounts of telemetry/logging or options to turn it off. Then examine privacy and company policies and go from there. It is quite possible you can still be exploited, but it would become much harder if the product simply doesn't send any logs or telemetry. Threat actors would have their work cut out for them modifying the program to do something it's just not capable of doing and would probably require a secondary payload to work, which may be detected by your security protocols, further increasing their risk. (and making you not worth it)

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
I have tried their Maximum Security months ago and I was happy with it. It feels heavier than some competitors. Their web filter is excellent. I purchased a license for two year 5 decives for just $5 from G2A

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Trend leaves many trash in system after uninstalling it, I wonder why nobody mentions that. Other than that, I rate Trend home user products good.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Trend leaves many trash in system after uninstalling it, I wonder why nobody mentions that. Other than that, I rate Trend home user products good.

When I install a security product I monitor the Installation process using Revo Uninstaller Pro. Generally I do a clean Windows install after testing a security product.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Trend also makes system changes. Things like adjusting UAC to what it wants, etc.

Reactions: Al-Faqir

Peter Phillie

Level 1
Verified
Jul 12, 2018
In terms of its privacy and security feature, Trend Micro is a solid antivirus suite that comes with a straightforward interface. But on the contrary, this program can cause some lag to your system because its' system-performance is unusually heavy.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
In terms of its privacy and security feature, Trend Micro is a solid antivirus suite that comes with a straightforward interface. But on the contrary, this program can cause some lag to your system because its' system-performance is unusually heavy.
I don’t think Trend Micro is privacy-friendly. I have read that it sends too much data.

RageDaddy

Level 1
Aug 17, 2018
I belive i have had almost every antivirus/internet security software there is! Using trials, giveaways and paid one's. I don't do much of tests, just everyday findings/observations. Gaming, browsing and normal average joe PC stuff. No VM, always used in real PC and OS.

One of the biggest problems i have had is slowing browsing and #####. There are not many AV's around that dont do that, but trend micro antivirus+ that i'm using now and have been using about 3 weeks or so is one of best AV's in that area. When it comes down to stopping malware and other ##### i follow test's and forums like MalwareTips.

My few cent's :emoji_grimacing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.