Battle Trend Micro Maximum Security Or F-Secure SAFE ?

Compare list
Trend Micro Maximum Security
F-Secure SAFE

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I have used both. Both product do not offer Firewall component but they "enhance" or "boost" the Windows built-in Firewall. F-Secure is lighter than TM and it does not contain any bloatware. I like TM's GUI which is more colourful, but on older devices it is not very responsive. As you can see in the recent tests conducted by 3rd-party labs both product offer decent protection, but I do think that TM has an edge in protection, especially in phishing protection, and if you set protection level to hyper-sensitive. Both products are plagued by false positives. It is a matter of preference here. I suggest you try both (you are already using F-Secure), and see what fits you well. Anyway I would go with the one with the better pricing.

IkariGradius

Level 2
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
I've tried both several times and know those AVs well. You can't really go wrong with either, as they are good products with good level of protection.

Here's my take on those:

• Neither of those have a firewall. Trend Micro has a firewall "booster", but they both use Windows firewall.
  • Trend Micro improved with their last version and aren't heavy anymore, however F-Secure is lighter
  • Protection wise, F-Secure usually ranks higher than Trend Micro that has been lacking in some tests since a while
  • Regarding privacy, F-Secure is considered one of the best in the industry while Trend Micro is among the worst (they send a lot of telemetry data)
  • If going for their higher end package, F-Secure TOTAL offers an excellent VPN. I also feel F-Secure extra features, such as the password manager is better.
  • It depends where you live, but on average F-Secure tends to be pricier than Trend Micro always have big discounts on their website or at resellers

Between those 2, I would definitely go with F-Secure SAFE or F-Secure TOTAL if you need a VPN as well. Especially if you don't have problems with F-Secure. However Trend Micro is still a great product anyway. If you're curious, you could test Trend Micro for yourself and see how it compares with F-Secure.

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
I have used both. Both product do not offer Firewall component but they "enhance" or "boost" the Windows built-in Firewall. F-Secure is lighter than TM and it does not contain any bloatware. I like TM's GUI which is more colourful, but on older devices it is not very responsive. As you can see in the recent tests conducted by 3rd-party labs both product offer decent protection, but I do think that TM has an edge in protection, especially in phishing protection, and if you set protection level to hyper-sensitive. Both products are plagued by false positives. It is a matter of preference here. I suggest you try both (you are already using F-Secure), and see what fits you well. Anyway I would go with the one with the better pricing.

My experiences, and advice, exactly.
Currently using F-Secure, exclusively, on 10 PC's.

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
I've tried both several times and know those AVs well. You can't really go wrong with either, as they are good products with good level of protection.

Here's my take on those:

• Neither of those have a firewall. Trend Micro has a firewall "booster", but they both use Windows firewall.
  • Trend Micro improved with their last version and aren't heavy anymore, however F-Secure is lighter
  • Protection wise, F-Secure usually ranks higher than Trend Micro that has been lacking in some tests since a while
  • Regarding privacy, F-Secure is considered one of the best in the industry while Trend Micro is among the worst (they send a lot of telemetry data)
  • If going for their higher end package, F-Secure TOTAL offers an excellent VPN. I also feel F-Secure extra features, such as the password manager is better.
  • It depends where you live, but on average F-Secure tends to be pricier than Trend Micro always have big discounts on their website or at resellers

Between those 2, I would definitely go with F-Secure SAFE or F-Secure TOTAL if you need a VPN as well. Especially if you don't have problems with F-Secure. However Trend Micro is still a great product anyway. If you're curious, you could test Trend Micro for yourself and see how it compares with F-Secure.

Agreed!

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Forgot to mention that TM offers some settings to play with while F-Secure does not offer much to change. TM allows you to use a password to protect its settings but as far as I remember F-Secure does not.

Edit:

TM Maximum Security offers File Vault which is a password-protected directory that helps you store sensitive data. I do like this feature btw.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

I have installed Trend on a very old device (mum’s laptop) which is beyond mediocre. The laptop runs better with Trend than with McAfee (which is considered light). It’s got 4GB RAM and very old HDD... probably the lowest class ever available. So performance shouldn’t be an issue with neither one of these.

It’s hard to tell which one you should go for, I would advise you to try them both and decide.

The telemetry data of Trend Micro can be disabled in settings. I don’t know where this belief about Trend Micro comes from, but you can have a look at their privacy policy.

Last edited by a moderator:

IkariGradius

Level 2
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
Forgot to mention that TM offers some settings to play with while F-Secure does not offer much to change. TM allows you to use a password to protect its settings but as far as I remember F-Secure does not.

Edit:

TM Maximum Security offers File Vault which is a password-protected directory that helps you store sensitive data. I do like this feature btw.
Yeah, I forgot about the File Vault and it’s quite good indeed. Thanks for your input ;)

IkariGradius

Level 2
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
I have installed Trend on a very old device (mum’s laptop) which is beyond mediocre. The laptop runs better with Trend than with McAfee (which is considered light). It’s got 4GB RAM and very old HDD... probably the lowest class ever available. So performance shouldn’t be an issue with neither one of these.

It’s hard to tell which one you should go for, I would advise you to try them both and decide.

The telemetry data of Trend Micro can be disabled in settings. I don’t know where this belief about Trend Micro comes from, but you can have a look at their privacy policy.
You can find more about the telemetry data on this MalwareTips post. To make things short they have a partnership with Booz Allen Hamilton which has close ties to the CIA (or FBI).

That’s not saying Trend Micro are evil. It’s just that if a user cares about privacy a lot that could be a dealbreaker, so I thought it was worth mentioning. When it comes to privacy, F-Secure and Emsisoft are kings.

EDIT: turns out the informations on that post aren't based on actual facts, so please disregard what I said.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 89360

You can find more about the telemetry data on this MalwareTips post. To make things short they have a partnership with Booz Allen Hamilton which has close ties to the CIA (or FBI).

That’s not saying Trend Micro are evil. It’s just that if a user cares about privacy a lot that could be a dealbreaker, so I thought it was worth mentioning. When it comes to privacy, F-Secure and Emsisoft are kings.
I just want to make it clear that what’s written in this thread is speculations.
The original poster is not in a position to provide accurate and trustworthy information. He doesn't have the product source code, he doesn't have the product and backend diagrams, and he can't decrypt HTTPS connection to see what exactly the product transmits. Only a criminal investigation can reveal whether or not a company can be trusted.

Most of the software nowadays (Including F-Secure and Emsisoft) collects and transmits telemetry and this helps developers offer better services, and resolve issues.
It also maintains cloud detections.

The partnership with Booz Allen Hamilton might be (and most likely is) related to criminal investigations and includes threat intelligence only. Unless you are a malware author, you are not affected.

And all telemetry can be switched off:
1609887552510.png

IkariGradius

Level 2
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
I just want to make it clear that what’s written in this thread is speculations and doesn’t concern users one bit.
The original poster is neither a Trend Micro employee, nor is any way in a position to receive insider information. The partnership with Booz Allen Hamilton might be related to criminal investigations.
Well my bad then, but as they where several other posts like this one as well, I thought it was a know fact or at least suspicious enough to be mentioned.

I never meant to mislead anyone and I don’t have any beef with Trend Micro either. Thanks for the information, as I know now it’s just a theory.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Well my bad then, but as they where several other posts like this one as well, I thought it was a know fact or at least suspicious enough to be mentioned.

I never meant to mislead anyone and I don’t have any beef with Trend Micro either. Thanks for the information, as I know now it’s just a theory.
It can't even be called a theory, as I don't see anything that can be used as an evidence. It's just a personal statement blown out of proportions by throwing in some technical mumbo-jumbo and information that makes the person actually look knowledgeable (as if he has insider information), when he is not. :)
It's all a personal opinion.

This is the reason why thread is closed for further replies.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The partnership with Booz Allen Hamilton might be (and most likely is) related to criminal investigations and includes threat intelligence only. Unless you are a malware author, you are not affected.
In any case, trying to unravel the web of relationships between armaments/infrastructure/IT companies, their subsidiaries, etc. and security software vendors is a pretty hopeless task because there are so many of each.

These companies don't want to be in the spotlight, for many reasons. ;)

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

In any case, trying to unravel the web of relationships between armaments/infrastructure/IT companies, their subsidiaries, etc. and security software vendors is a pretty hopeless task because there are so many of each.

These companies don't want to be in the spotlight, for many reasons. ;)
Exactly. I'm just saying that I've read the posts in question and I urge users not to believe people who try to push speculations without any evidence, by sharing random, unrelated information that looks insider-like. Nobody can untangle these relations and that goes for the aforementioned original poster too.
I've seen these speculations being re-shared on various threads now and I will fight them wherever I see them.

If the original poster has any diagrams/source of the software and backend or has decrypted HTTPS connection (with magic), and seen what the product transmits, then we can have a talk.

IkariGradius

Level 2
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
@McMcbrad @oldschool After thorough researches on my end you happen to be right, thanks for bringing me up to date. There are no evidence of what was suggested in that post. I guess I let myself be fooled this time, as I usually check my sources before making any assomption. I actually feel bad as I don't like misinformation.

In any case please for anyone reading, please disregard my previous post on the Trend Micro privacy matter and sorry again if I've mislead anyone.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

@McMcbrad @oldschool After thorough researches on my end you happen to be right, thanks for bringing me up to date. There are no evidence of what was suggested in that post. I guess I let myself be fooled this time, as I usually check my sources before making any assomption. I actually feel bad as I don't like misinformation.

In any case please for anyone reading, please disregard my previous post on the Trend Micro privacy matter and sorry again if I've mislead anyone.
It’s not your fault, I’ve read the person in question’s half billion posts and they can quite easily fool people that his selected products are the best (which change frequently) and everything else is garbage. His reactions then range from aggression (based on the fact people don’t appreciate his know-it-all attitude) to obvious lies.
He suffers an extreme choice supportive bias and doesn’t feel happy until it affects other people as well. The more, the better.
When people are disregarded and don’t feel significant enough in real life, they often need to lead, influence, and dominate on the web, and will use any means to achieve that.

Fortunately, as long as I am here I can only wish him and his attempts to spread bias good luck.
I am glad you have searched and realised what’s real and what’s not :).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.