Troy Hunt is looking for a buyer for Have I Been Pwned

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The company to take on this project can either scale it wonderfully and make a bold statement about empowering the infosec community or it can sink this project we all need so much.
Interesting question but must ask, why do you think it could sink the project? Personal and many others, know Troy Hunt ain't stupid and probably won't sell the site to anyone but, I have no idea how actual greedy or not he is. What is the wanted price?

Last edited:

Andra Zaharia

From Heimdal
Thread author
Verified
Jun 29, 2015
Interesting question but must ask, why do you think it could sink the project? Personal and many others, know Troy Hunt ain't stupid and probably won't sell the site to anyone but, I have no idea how actual greedy or not he is. What is the wanted price?

I think it could sink the project if their ethics are below the high standard Troy has been upholding for the Have I been pwned.

The price is not public and I don't think it should be because that's not the key topic here and it would divert attention from the most important topic which is using HIBP to drive awareness about data breaches, their impact, and the preventive measures we can apply to curb them.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Are we talking about selling probably one of the biggest databases of intentionally offered e-mails? Or just the mechanism? Either, this must be a real careful move. I've been desperate moves when the cash is needed.

Andra Zaharia

From Heimdal
Thread author
Verified
Jun 29, 2015
Are we talking about selling probably one of the biggest databases of intentionally offered e-mails? Or just the mechanism? Either, this must be a real careful move. I've been desperate moves when the cash is needed.

Troy provided details that answer your questions directly in the article. I highly recommend reading it. It covers a lot of ground.

On a broader note, that's why I'm interested in keeping an eye on the topic. I think moments like these can reveal a lot about the ecosystem.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
if their ethics are below the high standard Troy has been upholding for the Have I been pwned.
Troy himself has a well earned reputation in the infosec industry. It's not for nothing he previously was called to the US congress 2017 and made IMO a very good talk about data breaches. It was even briefly covered here on MT when it happened.
The price is not public and I don't think it should be because that's not the key topic here and it would divert attention from the most important topic which is using HIBP to drive awareness about data breaches, their impact, and the preventive measures we can apply to curb them.
I partially disagree here because IMO, when anyone " sells " something ( the topic title is, quote : " Troy Hunt is looking for a buyer " ) no matter what either online or even offline, the key factor is always, the price. If for example I personal would be interested, first question that I would want a answer on is the price. He's apparently not gonna give it away for free. Revenue and traffic is also things that automatic comes to mind and as I already now have a pretty good overview and found the answers I wanted but, as you are the OP and clearly don't want any price discussed I will respect that and not disclose any numbers. What I can mention is that professional brokers is normally used when it comes to sites like that as then everything that needs to be covered also is.
been desperate moves when the cash is needed.
Correct and even if Troy been very open and talked about that his involvement will stay, but on another level, it's something thats very hard to ignore. Time will tell...

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.