True or False? 10 Tweaks to Speed Up Your PC’s Boot Time (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanF1

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Part 1 of Debunking Windows boot optimization myths - TuneUp Blog Post

It drives me crazy! There are tens of thousands of articles floating around the web with tips to help drastically reduce Windows’ boot-up time. It’s clear that boot time is still quite an annoying Windows issue even in this day and age of solid-state drives (SSDs) and multi-core processors. I can’t really blame PC users—who wouldn’t want to shave seconds (or perhaps minutes) off their systems’ boot times?

Boot optimization isn’t rocket science, however, there is a lot of false information out there. One reason for this is that many boot optimization tips come from the era of Windows 3.x or Windows 98, and no one really checks their validity anymore. Bloggers just tend to repeat the tips because they appear to make sense.

In this blog post, we’re going to look at common Windows boot optimization myths and show you that most don’t effectively decrease boot time and that some are even dangerous.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Good read....Never stumbled upon sites which recommended (#5)– Using all CPUs during boot time or (#4) – Changing the boot menu’s timeout but I'm sure that their are a few . Most of this tweaks (true or false) are for more advance user......
#1 – Deleting unnecessary fonts
#2 – Tweaking your BIOS
#3 – Delaying Windows services
#4 – Changing the boot menu’s timeout
#5 – Using all CPUs during boot time
Most of the sites recommend simple tweaks like cleaning your temp file and checking your startup items or disabling some services .To be fair I've stop worrying about system tweaks a year ago or so, I feel that your system will go as fast as good as your hardware is... Tweaks are of little use, a little maintenance might help but that's about it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
When I read that article, I think the no.3 is similar to disabled the services since I made to disabled the services at the start up.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I don't tweak my system anymore because certain settings could be inaccessible to me when I need them. Windows 7 works faster so it really doesn't need any tweaks if you own a modern PC.

Lindows

Aug 19, 2011
Go to ms config and click boot tab and check no GUI boot....

It saves 3 - 10 seconds of boot depending on your PC performance...Other than that no other tweaks gave me faster boot times....

TRY IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.