True or False? 10 Tweaks to Speed Up Your PC’s Boot Time (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanF1

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Second part of the series on TuneUp Blog

Warning: spoiler alert :)

What really speeds up boot time

Now that I’ve shown if the most common tips out there actually do (or don’t) improve boot time, let’s recap the most effective strategies for optimizing it:

Turn off start-up programs. Yes, I realize that this one is an ancient tip, but it still works surprisingly well. Although it doesn’t necessarily make your desktop appear any sooner (at least, not on more recent machines and with newer operating systems), it certainly allows you to launch and work with applications much earlier.

Upgrade your RAM. I was pleasantly surprised that going from 2 GB to 4 GB of RAM still made a difference in boot time. More memory, however, doesn’t do much.

Get an SSD. This is probably the best (albeit costly) way to make your PC boot up more quickly. SSDs are 10–100 times faster with small random read operations, and this is exactly what is necessary to make Windows boot up faster than before. The Asus tablet I tested cold boots in 17 seconds and is fully usable after that—all thanks to its SSD. I know SSDs are still a bit of an investment, but they’re worth every penny.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
MSCONFIG/Startup, has worked well for me, but then again, my PC has always started pretty quickly. Getting rid of splash screens helps too.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes upgrading a RAM can speed up your PC the more RAM the better.

So at least turned off start up programs contributed to less my boot times.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
mid year ago. i really need fast boot. i just set like this:
yINrU.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.