Trump forces ByteDance to sell TikTok's US operations..

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I've never used it as I'm not young in fact I use as few apps as possible - I trust very few of the companies that make apps, they always say for your convenience but it's usually for theirs if not always - But you see others phones crammed to the gills with apps most of them tracking their every move like lambs to the slaughter, I do despair...

Edit: The twins of evil Google, Facebook, (Zuck) should be taken to task yet they are accepted - If ANY Chinese company was amassing anything like the data they do they would be banned globally today ... But of course they are from the land of the free & home of the brave ...

Last edited:

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
We seriously need some new non-US based operating system. This Android-iOS and Windows/MacOS duopolies are really strange in this day and age. I understand that the Americans invented the first operating systems, but the rest of the world has had three decades to catch up. Canada tried to do something with its Blackberry OS, but then abandoned everything.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The fact that this action appears to be legal only makes it uglier.
Make no mistake: something ugly and unprecedented is happening here. A social network that’s used by millions of people is set to be banned by presidential fiat, with no public evidence of wrongdoing and only the thinnest gesture at constitutional restraints to executive power.
Read more: Trump’s TikTok ban is a gross abuse of power

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
The year 2020 has been rough for TikTok as the company is battling for existence in the USA. President Donald Trump has made it clear to ByteDance, TikTok's parent company that it should sell its business to a US-based company or it will be banned.

Earlier this month, Donald Trump signed an executive order giving Chinese companies like WeChat and TikTok 45 days before they have to cease operations in the USA.

Now, Reuters reports that TikTok has decided to file a lawsuit to fight Trump's executive order. According to the report, TikTok plans to argue its classification as a threat to National Security. This should not come as a surprise since TikTok said it was formulating a legal strategy to fight the executive order.

In an email, TikTok said the following (via CNet):
To ensure that the rule of law is not discarded and that our company and users are treated fairly, we have no choice but to challenge the Executive Order through the judicial system.

Even though we strongly disagree with the Administration's concerns, for nearly a year we have sought to engage in good faith to provide a constructive solution. What we encountered instead was a lack of due process as the Administration paid no attention to facts and tried to insert itself into negotiations between private businesses.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Fresh off the Press:

ByteDance let us know today they would not be selling TikTok’s US operations to Microsoft. We are confident our proposal would have been good for TikTok’s users, while protecting national security interests. To do this, we would have made significant changes to ensure the service met the highest standards for security, privacy, online safety, and combatting disinformation, and we made these principles clear in our August statement. We look forward to seeing how the service evolves in these important areas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
TikTok not shutting down tomorrow afterall:
Yesterday we reported that TikTok and WeChat will be shuttered in USA tomorrow based on an executive order from President Donald Trump.

As has become traditional, that news was just another twist in the TikTok saga, with Reuters reporting today that President Trump has approved the deal between ByteDance, Oracle and Walmart which was designed to assuage security concerns.

“I have given the deal my blessing,” Trump said. “I approve the deal in concept.”

“The security will be 100%,” Trump noted.

The deal will result in the creation of a new US-based company which Trump said will be “totally controlled by Oracle and Walmart…. All of the control is Oracle and Walmart.”

The new company will be called TikTok Global, and will have a majority of American directors, a U.S. chief executive and a security expert on the board. The deal would reportedly also create 25,000 US jobs.

ByteDance will still retain a stake but has agreed to significant security safeguards on the data of U.S. users with Oracle housing all data and getting the right to inspect the TikTok source code.

There is still one further wrinkle to the story, as China would still need to approve the deal.

“We’ll see whether or not it all happens,” Trump said.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
A federal judge in California put a temporary halt on the White House's efforts to ban WeChat inside the United States, preventing that ban from going into effect at midnight tonight.

"The plaintiffs have shown serious questions going to the merits of their First Amendment Claim," US Magistrate Judge Laurel Beeler wrote in her ruling (PDF) early this morning.

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
Well, from what I understood, it was created mostly to offer people some sort of replacement to TikTok, so, now, that TikTok won't be removed after all, not a lot of people will use Reels.

No. Reels are a brand new integrated feature on Instagram ( owned by Facebook ). It's a copy of TikTok.
Yes, I know that. That's why I asked if it was going to be abandoned. Because it cannot compete with TikTok in popularity and features at the present time.

Reactions: upnorth and Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.