Jan 3, 2012
Other Utilities used/installed:
CCleaner
Revo Uninstaller free
Filehippo Update Checker
Secunia PSI
Panda USB vaccine (autorun disabled)

Firewall: NIS2012
Router: Firewall enabled with allowed only wireless mac addresses for connectivity
DNS: OpenDNS

Toolbox in USB:
Ccleaner
HijackThis
Rkill
Kaspersky TDSSKiller
Hitman Pro
Malwarebytes free
Superantispyware portable
GMER
Norton PE
Emsisoft Emergency Kit

Boot Disks:
Norton Bootable Recovery Tool, Kaspersky Rescue Disk, Dr. Web Cureit! Live CD

Setup seems to work well, but NIS2012 subscription will be running out soon and I don't think I will be renewing so open to any and all suggestions for replacement combo's as well as feedback on my current setup.

ocsi

Level 1
Oct 26, 2011
Idem what I say here:"truoc's "other" pc":
"Very solid config. I do not think you need Panda USB vaccine."
;)

truoc

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 3, 2012
It's been a little while, but I thought I'd update my setup to get some feedback again. Thanks.

*UPDATED*

Computer literacy skills: Intermediate
PC security risk to infections: Medium
Operating System and any Service Packs: Windows 8 Pro
Architecture: 64 bit
User Account Type: Standard
Real-time protection: avast! 7 free
Second-Opinion scanners: Hitman Pro
Malwarebytes free
Superantispyware free
Primary Web Browser: Google Chrome 23 (Adblock, LastPass)

Mozilla Firefox 17.0.1 (Adblock Plus, HTTPS-Everywhere, LastPass)

Internet Explorer 10 (Albine tracking protection list, Easylist tracking protection list, Fanboy tracking protection list, LastPass);

Other Utilities used/installed:
EMET
SpywareBlaster
Zemana AntiLogger Free
WinPatrol Free
CCleaner
SlimCleaner
SlimDrivers
Filehippo Update Checker

Firewall: Windows Firewall
Router: Firewall enabled
DNS: Norton ConnectSafe

Toolbox in USB:
Ccleaner
HijackThis
Rkill
Kaspersky TDSSKiller
Hitman Pro
Malwarebytes free
Superantispyware portable
GMER
Norton PE
Emsisoft Emergency Kit

Boot Disks:
Norton Bootable Recovery Tool, Kaspersky Rescue Disk, Dr. Web Cureit! Live CD

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
For Windows 8 :

Looks quite good. Only thing I say is add the other addons.

Browsers Plugins :
This are a few plugins that will make your live more easy and comfortable:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you Full Edit your first post, you can the update it with the new details.

truoc said:
It's been a little while, but I thought I'd update my setup to get some feedback again. Thanks.

truoc

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 3, 2012
Earth said:
If you Full Edit your first post, you can the update it with the new details.

truoc said:

Ah I did not know that. I apologize for making a new reply with my updated stuff.

truoc

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 3, 2012
Unknown said:
Why not using NIS 2013

I could use Norton Security Suite 2013 which is provided free of charge from my ISP and while it is a solid program I have a few reasons why it is not my main AV at the moment. One being that for some reason on Windows 8 the Action Center reports that Norton isn't turned on when in fact it is protecting the system. I have posted about this on the Norton forums with no luck in getting it resolved. It doesn't nag me about it, but I'm kind of anal in the fact I want my stuff to work, work right, and have zero issues when it comes to that. Another thing is that I have 5 computers in the house and I'm also anal in the sense that I choose to have the same security product on all 5 computers. One computer is a MAC and I cannot run the free version of the Norton Security Suite on the MAC. My ISP does provide a free version of Norton for MAC, but it is really outdated so I choose not to go that route. Nothing wrong with Norton it is just that my quirky mannerisms get in the way and Avast is a solid product for me at the moment. Subject to change at any time though! :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.