Try Rescuezilla! a cold backup solution

malis2007

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 10, 2016
Rescuezilla
Official site: Easy disk cloning and imaging | Rescuezilla (Clonezilla GUI)
It is a free, open-source easy-to-use disk imaging software (it can backup whole/selected drives and restore whole/selected drives)
It can backup your recovery partitions, all installed OS and data if you selected all drives in the backup above ^
in order to use it, you will need at least a 8gb bootable usb flash drive and a separate external HDD to save/restore backups in/from (go to this link for more details/instructions).
It helped me alot with my Asus laptop few months ago; my internal harddrive was failing and i managed to restore everything(including the hidden recovery partition) without issues into my new internal drive.
i highly recommend it :)

malis2007

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 10, 2016
Okay, thanks for sharing. did you try Macrium Reflect?
i think i didn't :unsure:, but i tried Aomei backupper free edition (just after installing a clean windows 10 + my old missing win7 drivers (missing after multiple windows updates) afterwards i followed this tutorial) and had a terrible experience (especially after finishing the backup process of Aomei and restarting my win 10, i started having drivers issues(most were related to intel bus something that ruined my nvidia drivers/display and i couldn't solve the issue eventhough i had said drivers backed up before manually) i wouldn't have noticed it if the resolution didn't change, so i tried uninstalling aoemi and the issue didn't resolve, not to mention that aoemi left files after uninstallation that were difficult to remove and had to reinstall my windows) i don't recall what i tried afterwards but the experience wasn't any better, and i reinstalled my windows each time, it was painful.. :( then i kept searching for a cold(aka when OS isn't running) backup solution and finally found one that doesn't leave residuals on my OS/HDD and was easy to use, i tested it immediately afterwards and it worked flawlessly ;)
to the extent that when i noticed my HDD failing few months later, i didn't fret at all because i had many backups in place :cool:

Last edited: