Trying to protect my sister in law's computer

jadinolf

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 20, 2014
Oh, I hope this is the right place.

I am giving my Compaq laptop to my sister in law.

I have cleaned up the hard drive as much as I could. I have installed a FREE antivirus program but now I need a FREE antimalware that will protect her computer. I assure you that she will not touch the program. Same thing for the antivirus program.

Is there anything out there that will protect her computer without her lifting a finger?

I am well protected here but she will not update, run scans or anything else.

For the record, she lives 3,000 miles away so I cannot run over to her house.

I know that this is asking a lot.

Any ideas?

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Just install some steady state software like a "Deep Freeze" or "Reboot Restore RX" also "Time Freeze" for drive example "C:\" that have Windows, and ask your sister to save file only on 2nd partition or 2nd hdd because every windows boot it will be restore last time you install steady state. All malware,viruses that infected should be remove after restart pc :) every change on windows also will be discard next boot. Sorry for my bad english.
Thanks for reminding me I'm going to make a "Time Freeze" Thread now.

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
timefreeze of course much better SD more more simply even for lay man to install it no needs to restart
when you want to switch your system to shadow mode (Virtual mode) just two click you're DONE.
see here more details http://www.shadowdefender.com/

Shadow Defender Users
  • 1. Maintain a system free from malicious activities and unwanted changes.
  • 2. Test software and game installations in a safe environment.
  • 3. Protect against unwanted changes by shared users (suitable for workplaces and educational institutions).
  • 1. Prevent all viruses and malwares.
  • 2. Surf the internet safely and eliminate unwanted traces.
  • 3. Protect your privacy.
  • 4. Eliminate system downtime and maintenance costs.
  • 5. Reboot to restore your system back to its original state.

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
I'll try it again but i'm not sure how to enter virtual mode.
very simple, thick appropriate drive you wish as virtual mode, see image below just two click as i said above..you're DONE.

sdmt.png

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
How does this compare to timefreeze?

Last time I tried SD everything was to complex & I couldn't understand what to do, but with Time Freeze is so simple..
I will support all of you or anyone to know about SD... i will make a tuto.. you just add TF also SD..how you can understand if you haven't tried initially. even more simply SD will suitable for you.

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
If you are willing to spend some bucks, then Malwarebytes Pro with any free antivirus is a great option.
You can also set up a standard user account and Admin account, and ask her to do her regular browsing tasks in standard user account and use admin account only when installing updates to programs.

jadinolf

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 20, 2014
If you are willing to spend some bucks, then Malwarebytes Pro with any free antivirus is a great option.
You can also set up a standard user account and Admin account, and ask her to do her regular browsing tasks in standard user account and use admin account only when installing updates to programs.

Reactions: user

jadinolf

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 20, 2014
Thanks for your reply.

I won't have to spend any money for Malwarebytes because I have more licenses than I have computers.

That will probably be my best bet. That way, all I have to tell her is to leave it on for a while and not turn it off like as if it was a radio.

Reactions: user
I

illumination

Although in theory all these suggestions sound great, the problem still remains, that she will not update, or scan, or anything as he stated.. While one could put her in a "virtual Loop" say like Shadow defender set to start up with the machine, she will not be receiving any of her needed updates this way, unless he takes the time to cofigure everything needed to be committed to the machine, and with windows updates ect, this can be a task. Team view is a good idea, depending on how much time the OP really wants to spend connect to her machine trying to keep her safe from herself.. Personally, and this will sound cold, i would let her tread waters by herself, in her manor, and the first time she gets hit hard, she will learn to care more about her machine, environment, and network.. It usually only takes one good infection, and loss of cherished items to put things into perspective..

I say this, as i have a sister as well, that does the same thing, and those phone calls get old to fix her machine when she will not put an ounce of effort in to learn or do anything about it.. Eventually i quit responding to those, and she got hit hard, and now she looks at it a little differently..

jadinolf

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 20, 2014
Although in theory all these suggestions sound great, the problem still remains, that she will not update, or scan, or anything as he stated.. While one could put her in a "virtual Loop" say like Shadow defender set to start up with the machine, she will not be receiving any of her needed updates this way, unless he takes the time to cofigure everything needed to be committed to the machine, and with windows updates ect, this can be a task. Team view is a good idea, depending on how much time the OP really wants to spend connect to her machine trying to keep her safe from herself.. Personally, and this will sound cold, i would let her tread waters by herself, in her manor, and the first time she gets hit hard, she will learn to care more about her machine, environment, and network.. It usually only takes one good infection, and loss of cherished items to put things into perspective..

I say this, as i have a sister as well, that does the same thing, and those phone calls get old to fix her machine when she will not put an ounce of effort in to learn or do anything about it.. Eventually i quit responding to those, and she got hit hard, and now she looks at it a little differently..
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I was frustrated with her so that's why I came here.

I may just let her flounder but I hate to see that relatively expensive laptop just sitting at her home collecting dust.

I really want to get it in the mail on Monday.

I

illumination

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I was frustrated with her so that's why I came here.

I may just let her flounder but I hate to see that relatively expensive laptop just sitting at her home collecting dust.

I really want to get it in the mail on Monday.

I totally understand, my sister was going through two laptops a year there for a while, between serious infections, and not taking care of them..
Sometimes they just have to learn though, and they will not if Brother keeps bailing them out ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.