Tupperware Site Hacked With Fake Form to Steal Credit Cards

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Hackers have compromised the website of the world-famous Tupperware brand and are stealing customers' payment card details at checkout. The risk existed for a while as researcher’s attempts to alert the company remained unanswered.

Some localized versions of the official Tupperware website were also running malicious code that skims credit card data.
The attack was carefully orchestrated to keep the skimmer active for as long as possible - a clear indication that this is not the work of run-of-the-mill MageCart attackers.

Clever tactic
The hackers used an ingenious method to steal credit card data from Tupperware customers at checkout: they integrated a malicious iframe that displays a fake payment form fields to shoppers.
Discovered by researchers at Malwarebytes, the iframe loaded the content from “deskofhelp[.]com,” a domain that was created on March 9 and it is hosted on a server with multiple phishing domains.
... ...

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Okay, now, all you browser experts: how would you have protected yourself from this attack, when you go to checkout?

I used to use the Umatrix browser extension, but I got burnt out from checking the endless third-party scripts, most of which were necessary for proper function of the website.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Okay, now, all you browser experts: how would you have protected yourself from this attack, when you go to checkout?

I used to use the Umatrix browser extension, but I got burnt out from checking the endless third-party scripts, most of which were necessary for proper function of the website.
Netcraft extension?
Blocking 3rd party iframes with uBlock Origin?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Then you only have unblock those some that are necessary ;)
Trying it right now and will see if I can keep my sanity :D
Just thinking, maybe the solution is to apply the blocker when you get to checkout, and when the checkout fails, take a good hard look at which ones are being blocked, and only the enable the ones that look legit.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The bank can issue me a new card and refund any money taken from my account.
It might not be so easy to prove that the fraudulent purchases were fraudulent.

I installed NoScript, will give it a try. I think the GUI is easier to navigate than that of uMatrix. I had some issues in the past with Netcraft blocking things I needed to do.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.