TV commercials get the volume turned down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiery

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 11, 2011
(For those living in the US)
Starting on Thursday, new federal rules go into effect that prohibit TV commercials from being too loud. Who says the government never gets anything done?

U.S. lawmakers passed the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation (or CALM) Act in 2010, giving the Federal Communications Commission the power to crack down on excessive commercial volume. The FCC adopted loudness rules on December 13, 2011, and allowed a grace period of one year to begin enforcement.

The rules, which apply to broadcasters and pay TV providers such as Comcast and Verizon, state that commercials may not exceed the average volume of actual programming. In other words, advertisers can't simply crank the volume on their ads to shock viewers into paying attention. To come up with the rules, the FCC relied on guidelines from the Advanced Television Systems Committee, an industry group.

Read more: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2020283/tv-commercials-get-the-volume-turned-down.html

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Good,maybe they could do something about that "my clean PC" commercial too.Like ban it from air play.

Fiery

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 11, 2011
White Nobster said:
Good,maybe they could do something about that "my clean PC" commercial too.Like ban it from air play.

I laugh every time I see that commercial

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Don't forget about Finally Fast and Free Credit Score, these scams should be banned.

I'm glad to see this law finally get enforced, my cable provider is extremely bad about blasting commercials at least twice as loud as the television programs. It gets so annoying to have to keep turning the volume up and down.

Thanks.:D

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Littlebits said:
Don't forget about Finally Fast and Free Credit Score, these scams should be banned.

I'm glad to see this law finally get enforced, my cable provider is extremely bad about blasting commercials at least twice as loud as the television programs. It gets so annoying to have to keep turning the volume up and down.

Thanks.:D
Didn't know FCS was a scam :S

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
LOL @ Finally Free Credit Score ,forgot all about that one.Anything with a cheesy commercial is usually a scam in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.