- Nov 10, 2017
Twitter is planning to delete 1.5 billion inactive accounts in order to make usernames or handles available again on the platform, according to a tweet from owner Elon Musk. The deleted accounts will reportedly be those that have been inactive for years and have no tweets associated with them. Musk said the move will free up the "name space" on the platform.
Elon Musk has previously pledged to remove inactive accounts from Twitter, announcing in November that accounts that had been inactive for 15 years would be deleted. It is currently unclear how long an account must be inactive before it is flagged for deletion. Musk had also suggested that accounts that had been dormant for over a year might also be targeted.
Musk, in a separate tweet, also said that Twitter is developing a process that will inform users if their tweets have been suppressed through a practice known as "shadow banning." Users will be able to appeal the ban if they are notified that their tweets have been suppressed. He also mentioned that Twitter is working on a software update that will show users their true account status.
While on the subject of shadow banning, Elon Musk released the second iteration of the "Twitter Files," in which he made new allegations against the former CEO of Twitter and other members of the company.
Twitter CEO Elon Musk has announced that the social media platform will delete 1.5 billion inactive accounts that haven't logged in or tweeted from, to free up usernames and handles.