Two-thirds of all Android antivirus apps are frauds

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Only 23 Android antivirus apps had a 100 percent detection rate with no false positives.
An organization specialized in testing antivirus products concluded in a report published this week that roughly two-thirds of all Android antivirus apps are a sham and don't work as advertised.

The report, published by Austrian antivirus testing outfit AV-Comparatives, was the result of a grueling testing process that took place in January this year and during which the organization's staff looked at 250 Android antivirus apps available on the official Google Play Store.

The report's results are tragicomical --with antivirus apps detecting themselves as malware-- and come to show the sorry state of Android antivirus industry, which appears to be filled with more snake-oilers than actual cyber-security vendors.

Only 80 of 250 apps passed a basic detection test
The AV-Comparatives team said that out of the 250 apps they've tested, only 80 detected more than 30 percent of the malware they threw at each app during individual tests.
... ...

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
That is very distrubing to read........ and at same time, doesn't surprise me.

side rant : Work phone has MDM for symantec and while it does help the IT department in maintaining the ease of maintain so many computer devices and software, I can't help but wonder why they have symantec as one of the required apps, the MDM does exactly what symantec does besides virus scan and makes the phone that much slower....

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm sure this has been mentioned before in the past. Stick to well known brands with a trusted reputation.

There's a LOT of fake AV apps on the Google Play Store, generally developed by "no named developers".
Most of the above apps, as well as the risky apps already mentioned, appear to have been developed either by amateur programmers or by software manufacturers that are not focused on the security business. Examples of the latter category are developers who make all kinds of apps, are in the advertisement/monetization business, or just want to have an Android protection app in their portfolio for publicity reasons. Apps made by amateurs can be often spotted in the Google Play Store by looking at the options for contacting the authors. Typically, hobby developers will not provide a website address, merely an email address (usually Gmail, Yahoo, etc.). Additionally, most such apps do not provide any sort of privacy policy. Google tries to purge from the Play Store all apps which lack a privacy policy, which helps to get rid of some low-quality apps. Of course, one should bear in mind that not all apps made by amateur developers are necessarily ineffective.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
This is no different from any other OS. Install certified well known brands. If you've never heard about it chance is it's a scam of some sort so research before installing.

Reactions: oldschool

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I read the report, but I do not see any reference to AV that are free. I guess the same principle applies, go by the name listed as acceptable. I know that Bitdefender Free is often mentioned for Android but then again I have read elsewhere that some feel Android does not need AV like Windows does.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
You simply don't need one. They slow you down and like this article said, most are the malware you're trying to avoid.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.