spaceoctopus

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
The Trump administration has publicly blamed North Korea for unleashing the so-called WannaCry cyber attack that crippled hospitals, banks and other companies across the globe earlier this year.

“The attack was widespread and cost billions, and North Korea is directly responsible,” Tom Bossert, homeland security adviser to President Donald Trump, wrote in a piece published on Monday night in the Wall Street Journal.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I wonder if they have any proof of their allegations. They have accused people before but have had no hard evidence. I think N Korea is a strong possibility but you can't just go around accusing people/nations without any facts to back up your claims.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
...you can't just go around accusing people/nations without any facts to back up your claims.

SiD9Phjs_o.jpg

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I wonder if they have any proof of their allegations. They have accused people before but have had no hard evidence. I think N Korea is a strong possibility but you can't just go around accusing people/nations without any facts to back up your claims.
There is a presentation by F-Secure's Mikko Hypponen from earlier this year where he makes the same argument

The US is actually the last country to confirm this.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Yesterday I almost failed to go to work, because my alarm clock was not working. I suspect, that North Korea is behind it, the proof: they do not like capitalism.

HaHaHa, i love your reasoning but i wonder if your boss would accept your explanation o_O

There is a presentation by F-Secure's Mikko Hypponen from earlier this year where he makes the same argument

The US is actually the last country to confirm this.

Thanks for posting that but i will need to watch it all later as i don't have 45 minutes to spare at the moment (y)

D

Deleted member 178

Ok let's reveal the big picture:

1- About North Korea:
- North Korea want to develop an efficient nuclear arsenal to "protect themselves" , that isn't cheap, so they need cash.
- North Korea is under economical embargo, basically they can't sell their products except to China. So their incomes is very limited.
- They use bitcoins heavily.

2- About Bitcoins:
- Bitcoins are anonymous and virtual, they aren't limited by border or laws or governments.
- bitcoins are limited and less are available, more its value rises (consider it like gold or oil).

3- About Wannacry:
- it is a ransomware, so to decrypt your files you need to pay in bitcoins.

I guess you start to see the secret and smart scheme:

Basically, NK used wannacry to force (infected) people to buy bitcoins (so its value rises) , now that bitcoins rises, NK can sell those they possesses in a better exchange rate, so they get more real cash to develop their nuclear program and do some fancy parties.

Wannacry isn't about getting money from the victims, it was all about making bitcoins more valuable...

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
In some way,it's difficult to judge the US about that claim. They may be right or wrong.Either way NK is the perfect target or the perfect scapegoat.

War is getting closer. NK has some nuclear capabilities. The situation is becoming dangerous and out of control.Wether NK is responsible or not, is not the main focus.

Perception of being good or bad is essential in conflics and diplomacy.NK is bad and has a sick dictator controlling it, and the US play it like 'well,why not throw some more dirt on this we've got nothing to lose'.

And sure, NK may be responsible for Wannacry.They have among the best hackers in the world.

Last edited:

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Something happening now you not have heard of in the past. Sometimes governments leak certain material on purpose. Just the other day a video was released of a new weapon. It is a rocket that uses microwave to fry the electronics of command and control and other rockets. That is something we would have never been told about in the past. This could be in the news to try scare NK?

Another one not related that I can tell is the video that came out of a UFO taken by the Navy in 2004. This one would have never ben leaked. At first the navy crew were sent out to do drills. After a bit command told them to go check out the object. Then it turns out command had been tracking about 2 dozen UFO's for a few weeks. Then after the crew went back to their base, another crew was on it's way to try track them again.

Reactions: bribon77

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

Quote : " If it did come from North Korea they failed in monetizing it. On 16th of May 261 payments 40.5 BTC Received $69536 USD. "

Source : 25:41 in the video.

Too easy for anyone to backtrace bitcoins through the blockchain even up to this date.

Last edited:

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Back when I was in high school some of us friends would play a game called Risk. My stratagy was to select the most isolated country with no easy access. I always put all my pieces on the Korean land and won every time. By the time the other players got there, all there pieces were used up. So that is weird to me after all these years.Risk (game) - Wikipedia

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.