Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
uBlock0 is available on all major browsers (Chrome and Chrome variants, Firefox and Edge) and since recently some of the best Adguard filters are included as standard options. With the "Custom" option it was already possible to add the best maintained filterlist of Adguard and Disconnect, but now they are just a click away from using.

With Microsoft smartscreen or Google safe browsing, most of malware community filter lists are redundant (they contain a lot of dead wood, meaning they contain a lot of links to URLs which already abandoned/dead). Therefor I use a minimal list. (but there as many opinions on this as there are MalwareTips forum members :) )

My "less is more" list

1. uBlock filters - Expiremental (contains redirects in stead of blocks)
2. Adguard - Base Filters
3. Adguard - Spyware Filters
4. Peter's Low Add and tracking filter list (or add Disconnect simple ad filter, which contains 95% the same)

I disable cosmetic filtering, so with 'only' 12.5 thousend filters, you have a great balance between usability, blocking and performance.

Note: you can fine tune pop-up blocking using the "copy" icon (most left icon at the bottom).

Last edited:

uBlock0 is available on all major browsers (Chrome and Chrome variants, Firefox and Edge) and since recently some of the best Adguard filters are included as standard options. With the "Custom" option it was already possible to add the best maintained filterlist of Adguard and Disconnect, but now they are just a click away from using.

With Microsoft smartscreen or Google safe browsing, most of malware community filter lists are redundant (they contain a lot of dead wood, meaning they contain a lot of links to URLs which already abandoned/dead). Therefor I use a minimal list. (but there as many opinions on this as there are MalwareTips forum members :) )

My "less is more" list

1. uBlock filters - Expiremental (contains redirects in stead of blocks)
2. Adguard - Base Filters
3. Adguard - Spyware Filters
4. Peter's Low Add and tracking filter list (or add Disconnect simple ad filter, which contains 95% the same)

I disable cosmetic filtering, so with 'only' 12.5 thousend filters, you have a great balance between usability, blocking and performance.

Note: you can fine tune pop-up blocking using the "copy" icon (most left icon at the bottom).

The status of uBlock Origin for Edge is questionable. Nik Rolls has not updated his project in quite a long while. Questions about the status of the project have been asked with no reply.

Gorhill says project uBlock for Edge is stale and he can do nothing: Project status · Issue #94 · nikrolls/uBlock-Edge · GitHub

uBO for Edge is quite buggy. Use Adguard instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
The status of uBlock Origin for Edge is questionable. Nik Rolls has not updated his project in quite a long while. Questions about the status of the project have been asked with no reply.

Gorhill says project uBlock for Edge is stale and he can do nothing: Project status · Issue #94 · nikrolls/uBlock-Edge · GitHub

I couldn't agree more @Lockdown

Why bother with Edge??? :rolleyes:

@zzz00m Some people like it.... However, I'm 1000 times more willing to use Firefox! Only thing Edge is great at is downloading another web browser in my humble opinion. Edge is ok, but not my cup of tea per say.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Even with the project being stale uBlock as browser extension works so much better for me than Adguard (browser extension) in beating the anti add blockers.
So for the few times I use Edge I keep uBlock Origin.
I hope this will be resolved eventually, because for most noobs Edge is so much better than Internet Explorer as build in browser in their OS.

Reactions: shmu26 and frogboy

Danielx64

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
Even with the project being stale uBlock as browser extension works so much better for me than Adguard (browser extension) in beating the anti add blockers.
So for the few times I use Edge I keep uBlock Origin.
I hope this will be resolved eventually, because for most noobs Edge is so much better than Internet Explorer as build in browser in their OS.
Have you tried Adguard (system wide) and Adguard DNS?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Have you tried Adguard (system wide) and Adguard DNS?
I tried it (have 2 lifetime licences) but I don't like the certificate used to perform add blocking on https sites and it is no option for people/noobs/my family in law who don't want to pay anything...

Reactions: shukla44

Danielx64

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
I tried it (have 2 lifetime licences) but I don't like the certificate used to perform add blocking on https sites and it is no option for people/noobs/my family in law who don't want to pay anything...
Adguard DNS is free and doesn't much around with the certificate stuff. Also you could turn off https scanning and use DNS for blocking ads on https site. Just some ideas out there.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Adguard DNS is free and doesn't much around with the certificate stuff. Also you could turn off https scanning and use DNS for blocking ads on https site. Just some ideas out there.
Yes I know but were content with uBlock for now. Thanks anyway (y)

Reactions: shukla44

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016

Agree that Adguard is a great alternative to any AdBlocker, especially for people not using the Advanced options of uBlock0rigin.

On Edge Adguard is probably the best blocker when you enable Malware protection also, because you get the filter list of Microsoft (because you use Edge) and Google + Yandex (Yandex bought Aginitum and partners with Kaspersky and Sophos). Add a DNS service which also filters on bad URL's e.g (Norton) and you are protected against millions of bad websites (no uBlock third-party filter can give you that protection).

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Agree that Adguard is a great alternative to any AdBlocker, especially for people not using the Advanced options of uBlock0rigin.

On Edge Adguard is probably the best blocker when you enable Malware protection also, because you get the filter list of Microsoft (because you use Edge) and Google + Yandex (Yandex bought Aginitum and partners with Kaspersky and Sophos). Add a DNS service which also filters on bad URL's e.g (Norton) and you are protected against millions of bad websites (no uBlock third-party filter can give you that protection).
Probably way off topic but when using the adguard browser extension I get admiral anti add block warnings on 3 frequently used sites:
TheWindowsClub
Windows Central: News, Forums, Reviews, Help for Windows Phone
Vlindervreugde
Howto work around those blocks?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Could not agree more, and having "system wide" protection is too good to pass up in the online climate we have to navigate
in this day and age.
I employ AdGuard DNS on my modem and router, as well as the app on all my Windows OS drives.

neon

Level 3
Verified
Nov 23, 2015

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Probably way off topic but when using the adguard browser extension I get admiral anti add block warnings on 3 frequently used sites:
TheWindowsClub
Windows Central: News, Forums, Reviews, Help for Windows Phone
Vlindervreugde
Howto work around those blocks?

Add this to the whitelist, should be good to go

@@||googlesyndication.com^$domain=thewindowsclub.com|windowscentral.com|spelletjes.nl,important,third-party

Disclaimer: I don't have the time to help other members, this is an exception for Gandalf the Grey (with such a nickname you deserve priveledges)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Add this to the whitelist, should be good to go

@@||googlesyndication.com^$domain=thewindowsclub.com|windowscentral.com|spelletjes.nl,important,third-party

Disclaimer: I don't have the time to help other members, this is an exception for Gandalf the Grey (with such a nickname you deserve priveledges)
Thanks @Windows_Security , but it didn't work.
I couldn't add it to the whitelist only to the own filter list.
For spelletjes.nl ||balancebreath.com^$third-party seems to work.
The other 2 sites don't give a admiral anti ad block message at the moment.
This was the only real thing keeping me from using Adguard, so I'm a happy Adguard user again. (y)
And then I go to a site: Laptop Mag: Find the Perfect Laptop, Tablet or 2-in-1 for You and get adds all over the place :sick:
With uBlock i would block inline scripts what to do with Adguard?

Last edited:
Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.