Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
uBO-Extra

A companion extension to uBlock Origin, download from Chrome Web Store | uBlock Origin Extra

Purpose

To foil hostile anti-user mechanisms used to work around content blockers or even privacy settings in a browser.

For Chromium-based browsers, WebSocket connections are not available to the chrome.webRequest API. This companion extension (it's pointless to use it as a standalone) will allow uBlock Origin to become aware of WebSocket connection attempts: they can be filtered, and will be reported in the logger.

Instart Logic's technology used to disguise third-party network requests as first-party network requests, including the writing/reading of third-party cookies as first-party cookies. I consider this to be extremely hostile to users, even those not using a content blocker, as it allows third-party servers to read/write cookies even if a user chose to block 3rd-party cookies through your browser setting.

The company behind the technology understand how hostile its technology is to users, and thus tries to hide what is being done by making it difficult to investigate by detecting whether the browser's developer console is opened, and when it detects it is opened, it ceases completely to make use of the obfuscation mechanism. The developer console-detecting code works only for Chromium-based browsers however, and therefore the obfuscation technology is not used when using Firefox (a different web page is served for Firefox).

Notes

The extension has no interactive UI, just an icon in the toolbar to remind it's enabled.

Your browser should allow you to hide the icon if it annoys you. Use uBlock Origin's logger if you want to see and possibly filter WebSocket connections made visible by uBO-Extra.

Malakke

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
How works this add-on? I've installed it but i don't see any configuration settings...

Reactions: Dirk41

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
How works this add-on? I've installed it but i don't see any configuration settings...
u should read the text.. there are no gui or options its listen in the text.

" This companion extension (it's pointless to use it as a standalone) will allow uBlock Origin to become aware of WebSocket connection attempts: they can be filtered, and will be reported in the logger."

Malakke

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
u should read the text.. there are no gui or options its listen in the text.

" This companion extension (it's pointless to use it as a standalone) will allow uBlock Origin to become aware of WebSocket connection attempts: they can be filtered, and will be reported in the logger."

Thanks. RTFM!! ;)

Reactions: Dirk41

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Thank you for sharing :)

So in FF we don't need an extension like this ? I don't get sorry

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
I still don't understand why it is the purpose of this extension, it is really useful? It helps to block more... what could be? I'm using it but really don't get the difference

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I still don't understand why it is the purpose of this extension, it is really useful? It helps to block more... what could be? I'm using it but really don't get the difference

Some websites circumvent Adblock/uBlock/Adguard by doing some tricks behind the scene. For uBlock to counter this trick, it needs an additional capability (websocket access) in Chrome. Chrome does not offer extensions access to the websocket through a standard API (application programming interface). This extension adds this capability to uBlock. So on itself this extensions has no use and it is not necessary in Firefox.

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Some websites circumvent Adblock/uBlock/Adguard by doing some tricks behind the scene. For uBlock to counter this trick, it needs an additional capability (websocket access) in Chrome. Chrome does not offer extensions access to the websocket through a standard API (application programming interface). This extension adds this capability to uBlock. So on itself this extensions has no use and it is not necessary in Firefox.
So, it can't block ads without this or with the proper rule on their settings or it helps more on performance? I have it actually and it seems not to appear in the chrome's task manager, so maybe I'll keep it but it's good to know ifthere is a page that breaks (and how to know it??) and not ublock origin

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
So, how about other uBlock Orign lookalikes (e.g. adblock genesis)....do they require this? Without this will the lookalikes be inferior to uBlock Origin bearing in mind they also combined with adblock plus.

Thanks

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
So, it can't block ads without this or with the proper rule on their settings or it helps more on performance? I have it actually and it seems not to appear in the chrome's task manager, so maybe I'll keep it but it's good to know ifthere is a page that breaks (and how to know it??) and not ublock origin
As far as I know, it can't block anything by itself alone. It only adds functionality to uBlock Origin, that is, uBlock Origin's logger can now see "websocket connections", which you can now block manually.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I wonder why this needed to be a seperate extension instead of adding this extension feature in main ublock origin itself. Maybe gorhill has planned to do just that in the future.

Reactions: AtlBo

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
When you use AdGuard extension for Chrome and click at the magnify glas icon, the monitor also reports websocket traffic, so Adguard extension for Chrome seems to have this capability also.

Reactions: AtlBo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.