App Review uBlock Origin Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Seems like adblock + Avaria Browser safety would do better. Adblock seems to be a lot more user friendly and a lot easier to customize. I'll stick with Avaria Browser Safety for now, however.

Nice video!

Edit
Thanks for the test, UBlock Origin is horrible, test Adguard AdBlocker

As it says in the disclaimer. "Due to the small number of samples used in this tests, you should take results with a grain of salt. I encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use."

This was one test, as well as the links were fairly new. He probably would do AdGuard at some point but remember nothing is perfect. :)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
with all default filters, this is an easily predictable result
the strength of uBO is the ability to add more filters and it supports many formats including hosts
those filters should be added to improve the result
EasyList Adware
Adguard Spyware
Disconnect Advertising
Disconnect Malvertising
Disconnect Malware
DNS-BH Malware Domain Block
hpHosts Malware (emd)
hpHosts Exploits (exp)
hpHosts Phishing (fsa)

Malware Domain Hosts
Steven Black’s Hosts
https://ransomwaretracker.abuse.ch/downloads/RW_DOMBL.txt
https://ransomwaretracker.abuse.ch/downloads/RW_URLBL.txt

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Seems like adblock + Avaria Browser safety would do better. Adblock seems to be a lot more user friendly and a lot easier to customize. I'll stick with Avaria Browser Safety for now, however.

Nice video!

Edit

As it says in the disclaimer. "Due to the small number of samples used in this tests, you should take results with a grain of salt. I encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use."

This was one test, as well as the links were fairly new. He probably would do AdGuard at some point but remember nothing is perfect. :)

Hello, I respect your opinion, but my opinion is not only based on the test of the video, but in my day to day, and Adblock Origin was one of the worst of all I tested, the best was Adguard AdBlocker :)

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
with all default filters, this is an easily predictable result
the strength of uBO is the ability to add more filters and it supports many formats including hosts
those filters should be added to improve the result

Exactly what I though after I saw the video. uBlock is awesome blocking ads, but certainly needs to be tweaked in order to prevent malware and phishing.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
@MalwareBlockerYT Next time enable Spam404 filter because it's designed to block phishing/scam sites. Can you test Adguard browser extension? Before test, make sure to enable malware and phishing protection in Adguard settings. :)

I didn't and I don't expect uBlock Origin or any other ad blocker to block malware files because they are designed to block ads, not malware.

Last edited:
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Thanks for the test, UBlock Origin is horrible, test Adguard AdBlocker
No problem & I have that on my list, but please be patient because I have 1 month of exams coming up.

Nice video!

Edit

Thanks for watching & I've tested AdGuard off screen & it doesn't do that well either - but better than uBlock.
Keep in mind that adblockers (in terms of security) aren't designed to keep you away from malicious sites; they're designed to keep you away from malvertising.
Very true indeed :D

@MalwareBlockerYT Next time enable Spam404 filter because it's designed to block phishing/scam sites. Can you test Adguard browser extension? Before test, make sure to enable malware and phishing in Adguard settings. :)

I didn't and I don't expect uBlock Origin or any other ad blocker to block malware files because they are designed to block ads, not malware.
The only reason I didn't do this was because a user requested certain settings to be tested - so I used his settings & none of my own. If it was me I would have turned them all on :)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
this should be renamed to Malware domain lists review :D
uBO has nothing to do with malware blocking, also true for adguard adblocker.

The thing that adguard is better than uBO using the default settings is adguard has "adguard spyware" filter enabled by default if I'm not mistaken => better maware blocking ability

so can I request a short video for uBO with all filters I mentioned in the above post added?

I know this was requested by a user but it's still very unfair to test uBO without a proper phishing filter against phishing links
I have rarely seen Malware domain lists blocking anything since I started using it for many many years

hphosts is created by malwarebytes so I think the result will be obviously better

mal1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
So bottom line is, out-of-the-box AdGguard adblocker offers better protection than out-of-the-box uBlock Origin?o_O
Well I think +90% of users (including myself) use uBlock Origin without any tweaking!
So users of uBlock Origin need to add more filters, or switch to Adguard Adblocker?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
So bottom line is, out-of-the-box AdGguard adblocker offers better protection than out-of-the-box uBlock Origin?o_O
Well I think +90% of users (including myself) use uBlock Origin without any tweaking!
So users of uBlock Origin need to add more filters, or switch to Adguard Adblocker?
yes I belive the out-of-the-box adguard is better than uBO. the filters of uBO are the same as they are since the first release and are almost never added more
adguard is a company and they have their own filters added. uBO is developed by 1 dev.

with uBO you can easily add more filters and they will automatically update

with adguard (extension), ram usage is now lower (before, it was higher). You can only select or deselect existing filters. You can add more but only in user filters. This means you can add more rules by copy and paste and see the immediate gain but these will never get updates, let's say after 1 week. You have to delete the old rules and overwrite by the new ones. In other words, you can not add more filters, just the existing ones in adguard. if you wanna add more, it's not easy

for examples, @Logethica has 50-60 more filters added. it's impossible to do that with adguard

Last edited:

cryogent

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016

That depends on how each user manages software installed on his computer and his expectations from it.
I for example do not install any software without a minimum documentation and even once installed that software, check all the default settings for a better understanding.

Thanks @Evjl's Rain you gave a detailed description.

Last edited:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
this should be renamed to Malware domain lists review :D
uBO has nothing to do with malware blocking, also true for adguard adblocker.

The thing that adguard is better than uBO using the default settings is adguard has "adguard spyware" filter enabled by default if I'm not mistaken => better maware blocking ability

so can I request a short video for uBO with all filters I mentioned in the above post added?

I know this was requested by a user but it's still very unfair to test uBO without a proper phishing filter against phishing links
I have rarely seen Malware domain lists blocking anything since I started using it for many many years

hphosts is created by malwarebytes so I think the result will be obviously better
Only English filter is activated by default in Adguard browser extension. Phishing and malware protection is disabled as well.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
adguard has "adguard spyware" filter enabled by default if I'm not mistaken => better maware blocking ability
Sadly no. Adguard's spyware filter has absolute nothing to do with actual spyware.
Spyware filter
The most comprehensive list of various online counters and web analytics tools. If you do not want your actions on the Internet be tracked, use this filter.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.