Battle Ublock Origin vs Adguard Chrome extension

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Updating the Pros and Cons. Let me compare first assuming both have the same sets of filters installed

uBO

Pros

1) Has a nice and useful GUI [blocking scripts (by domain, frames, ....)]
2) Element Picker feature
3) Faster in speed in previous tests on the net
4) Frequent updates
5) Has several modes to operate - Easy/Medium/High

Cons

Adguard Adblocker Extension

Pros

1) Has Stealth Mode
2) Specific language filter: select automatic filters according site language you are visiting

Cons

1) Less customizable than uBO about blocking scripts (by domain, frames, ....)

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Updating the Pros and Cons. Let me compare first assuming both have the same sets of filters installed

uBO

Pros

1) Has a nice and useful GUI [blocking scripts (by domain, frames, ....)]
2) Element Picker feature
3) Faster in speed in previous tests on the net
4) Frequent updates
5) Has several modes to operate - Easy/Medium/High

Cons

Adguard Adblocker Extension

Pros

1) Has Stealth Mode
2) Specific language filter: select automatic filters according site language you are visiting

Cons

1) Less customizable than uBO about blocking scripts (by domain, frames, ....)
2) Specific language filter: select automatic filters according site language you are visiting can also be a con.
If you are not careful you end up with a lot of language filters when visiting foreign sites.

More plusses for AdGuard are that you can report a broken site from the extension and its cosmetic filters work a little bit better, especially compared to when you use some AdGuard filters in uBlock Origin.

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
I use Adguard(system-wide) but I have used UBO for some time, no speed difference, and I like Adguard both extension & Desktop better. :)
My personal experience is exactly the same, I have never seen noticeable difference in browsing speed between adguard (extension or app) and ublock origin.
I never liked ublock origin to be honest, I prefer the simplicity of Adguard which does better cosmetic handling of the pages.
The only extension which is noticeably faster is Ghostery.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
My personal experience is exactly the same, I have never seen noticeable difference in browsing speed between adguard (extension or app) and ublock origin.
I never liked ublock origin to be honest, I prefer the simplicity of Adguard which does better cosmetic handling of the pages.
I agree with you, my experience too :):)

F

ForgottenSeer 78429

I have never seen noticeable difference in browsing speed between adguard (extension or app) and ublock origin.
I noticed much difference in browsing speed with older versions of AdGuard Desktop. But with version 7.5.2 and afterwards no difference at all. However I am still using ublock origin in combination with AdGuard Desktop. I think it is hard to ditch uBlock because of its advanced mode, click to load feature and block media largen than '---kb'.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I never notice any speed differences between the two.

@Handsome Recluse I second what you have mentioned here. I really don't notice the speed differences between the two either. Then again.. I do have a speedy machine though too! haha Lots of RAM to gobble up if needed.

Honestly, the lifetime licence deals offered by Adguard every now and then are a steal and totally worth every cent. The desktop software is miles ahead superior to the browser extensions in features and effectiveness.
@Gangelo You are very right that the desktop software is miles ahead superior to the browser extensions in effectiveness and features - light years I say!

You'll see some good lifetime deals offered on AdGuard fairly often if you know where to look and how to spot for these deals. Personally, if i had to choose one or the other I would go with AdGuard all day any day - 💯!!!

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I use Adguard(system-wide) but I have used UBO for some time, no speed difference, and I like Adguard both extension & Desktop better. :)
I also use AdGuard for Windows, plus AdGuard Browser Assistant for Edge that I mainly use.
Question:
Can I install uBlock Origin in Firefox? Since I don't have AdGuard Browser Assistant installed on Firefox.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I tried uBlock Origin in Medium mode, and for me, it wasn't easy to manage it.

Reactions: Nevi

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@Handsome Recluse I second what you have mentioned here. I really don't notice the speed differences between the two either. Then again.. I do have a speedy machine though too! haha Lots of RAM to gobble up if needed.

@Gangelo You are very right that the desktop software is miles ahead superior to the browser extensions in effectiveness and features - light years I say!

You'll see some good lifetime deals offered on AdGuard fairly often if you know where to look and how to spot for these deals. Personally, if i had to choose one or the other I would go with AdGuard all day any day - 💯!!!
Same here on old i7-950 with 8 GB Ram no speed difference with100Mbit internet

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
For the record, I like ublock features more, especially that it shows, how many filters are actually used, so it helps to avoid obsolete filters. But neither of those two is able to block all cookie notices lately (because of a chrome update?). When I use "I don't care about cookies" filter, they are not blocked, but when I use "I don't care about cookies" extension, they are.

Reactions: Cortex and Back3

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
The filter capability in ublock and adguard extension should be the same if they use the exact same set of filters. The default filters from adguard is better than ublock's default
The big advantage of ubo is it's compatible with almost all filters written for adblock plus or with adblockplus format. Adguard has its own syntax, slightly different from adblock plus syntax -> sometimes, there are some incompatibilities -> blocks the whole website. Not many people have mentioned this

For me, as pure adblocker, ubo wins due to its speed and maximum compatibility

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I saw another extension here: Ninja Cookie | Opt out of non-essential cookies and automatically remove cookie popups.
The difference with I don't care about cookies is that it not only removes cookiebanners but also rejects the use of non-essential cookies. I haven't tried out it yet.
Pay to whitelist a webpage, a hilarious business model. I also do not like misleading advertisements, like 0€ per month for free premium (but only for 30 days). Looks phishy overall. ⚠️

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.