Advice Request uBlock Origin: What Kind of User Are You?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm a happy user of uBlock Origin in Advanced User Medium Mode which makes uBlock very powerful. A bit technical but a fast and easy learning curve, great for an average user. In fact, it is the developer's preferred mode in terms of ease of use and power to increase privacy and security, which he compares with uMatrix and believes might be a bit too technical for some users. I've seen posts in various threads where people raise the subject of privacy extensions but not necessarily a lot of discussion about how to use them, and they appear to be spread all over this forum - especially when it comes to uBlock Origin. I thought this thread might be one good place for members who may not know a lot about uBlock and the different ways to use it. I hope this thread helps them to make the choice that fits their needs.

[]

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
The mode also depends on the number of new websites we visit everyday

I do visit a lot of new websites everyday so I have problems with Medium blocking mode because they break too many sites. I'm tired of whitelisting several pages a day and it's time-consuming

Now I'm back to the default mode with generic rules and many filters. It just works better for me

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The mode also depends on the number of new websites we visit everyday

I do visit a lot of new websites everyday so I have problems with Medium blocking mode because they break too many sites. I'm tired of whitelisting several pages a day and it's time-consuming

Now I'm back to the default mode with generic rules and many filters. It just works better for me

Excellent! I'm happy you use it the way it suits you as everyone's browsing habits are unique. I find that the Medium Mode works for me without breaking many sites, or I may need one NOOP rule, although I have found one that simply won't function in this mode without letting all other 3rd parties profit from it, so I won't visit the site and they've lost a customer.

I think I am a static, I use some lists, but I don't go into using debugger for inspecting encoded JavaScript for AdBlock Warning, or DOM elements. :)

Yes, you are a Static user. This is the Default mode. What lists do you use? Do you mean you don't use the Element Zapper or Element Picker? Have you watched the spoiler? Very informative and fun. It might change your mind..... or not.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
In here i adding rules that can't be takes by picker mouse, Ublock origin technics in combination with inspect website chrome context menu for div, footer, toltip class elements, specially to neutralize various fx on slow youtube transitions animations and images on comments.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks, I'm relying on the experience of others.
I may suggest you a few filters I find them helpful, especially StevenBlack + 1hosts => ultimate combo against trackers

they contain some generic rules which are very helpful to block ads/trackers that are not in the list

also I took these filters from @Windows_Security. Thank you
copy them to the My filters
# Redirect Google services
||doubleclick.net/instream/ad_status.js$script,redirect=doubleclick.net/instream/ad_status.js,important
||google-analytics.com/analytics.js$script,redirect=google-analytics.com/analytics.js,important
||google-analytics.com/ga.js$script,redirect=google-analytics.com/ga.js,important
||google-analytics.com/plugins/ga/inpage_linkid.js$script,redirect=google-analytics.com/inpage_linkid.js,important
||googletagservices.com/tag/js/gpt.js$script,redirect=googletagservices.com/gpt.js,important
||scorecardresearch.com/beacon.js$script,redirect=scorecardresearch.com/beacon.js,important
||googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js$script,redirect=googlesyndication.com/adsbygoogle.js,important

# Block social media only as third-party
facebook.net*^$third-party
facebook.com*^$third-party
twitter.com^$third-party
instagram.com^$third-party
pinterest.com^$third-party
sharethrough.com^$third-party
addthis.com^$third-party
snapchat.com^$third-party

# Generic filters (domains starting with)
||ad.*^
||adimg.*^
||adimage.*^
||admanage.*^
||admanager.*^
||ads1.*^
||ads2.*^
||ads3.*^
||ads4.*^
||ads5.*^
||ads6.*^
||ads7.*^
||ads8.*^
||ads9.*^
||adserv.*^
||adserve.*^
||adserver.*^
||adserver1.*^
||advertise.*^
||advertising.*^
||affiliate.*^
||affiliates.*^
||analytics.*^
||audience.*^
||banner.*^
||banners.*^
||beacon.*^
||beacons.*^
||click.*^
||clicks.*^
||log.*^
||logs.*^
||logger*.
||tags.*^
||track.*^
||tracker.*^
||tracking.*^

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I may suggest you a few filters I find them helpful, especially StevenBlack + 1hosts => ultimate combo against trackers

they contain some generic rules which are very helpful to block ads/trackers that are not in the list

also I took these filters from @Windows_Security. Thank you
copy them to the My filters

I am currently using uBlock in advanced user mode so I don't normally use filter lists, but I appreciate you sharing your filters with the forum, and I may experiment using them with some sites that break with AUM.(y)

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.